Is this the death curl?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
That's not a death curl, no. A death curl has the toes tucked under the carapace.

Can you get an overhead shot of the spider?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Hm. Not a death curl, but it's definitely a curl. Likely stress. It's also nice and plump. Is there a bald patch on the abdomen? If so, could you get a shot of that?

You're not misting the enclosure at all, are you? The only source of humidity should be the water dish.

XBabysinX

Arachnopeon
The enclosure of my tarantula is around room temperature
Mine has done this when my air conditioner broke and the heat in the house became too much for him but as soon as I got him in a cooler place he settled right back down to normal stance. I agree with what was said above. Stress.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
Hm. Not a death curl, but it's definitely a curl. Likely stress. It's also nice and plump. Is there a bald patch on the abdomen? If so, could you get a shot of that?

You're not misting the enclosure at all, are you? The only source of humidity should be the water dish.
Never misted the enclosure. But of **** I didn't know my B. Smithi needs a water dish.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon

Never misted the enclosure. But of **** I didn't know my B. Smithi needs a water dish.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
My tarantula fell on it's side a few times and stood back up.

The posture of the legs is worrying me

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
No worries. You've only had it a month. This is an arid species, it can survive a few measly weeks without water. Especially with an abdomen like that. Get a water dish in there though.

I suspect premolt, honestly. I know I keep asking for pics, sorry... but could we see the entire enclosure? As in, take it from the outside. I want to see the whole thing as if I were standing in front of it. If there's no water dish, I suspect there are other issues afoot.

In short:
-Get a picture of the abdomen, specifically of a bald patch (if present)
-Get a picture of the entire enclosure

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
No worries. You've only had it a month. This is an arid species, it can survive a few measly weeks without water. Especially with an abdomen like that. Get a water dish in there though.

I suspect premolt, honestly. I know I keep asking for pics, sorry... but could we see the entire enclosure? As in, take it from the outside. I want to see the whole thing as if I were standing in front of it. If there's no water dish, I suspect there are other issues afoot.

In short:
-Get a picture of the abdomen, specifically of a bald patch (if present)
-Get a picture of the entire enclosure

Attachments

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's got no hide? C'mon man... no wonder it's stressed.

Watch this and come back with any questions. Make these modifications today.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
It's got no hide? C'mon man... no wonder it's stressed.

Watch this and come back with any questions. Make these modifications today.
My tarantula seems to be falling down and getting back up. As if it's losing balance

I'm getting worried. It's abodmen is resting on the substrate, the toes look tucked in sort of.

I filled a small bottle cap with water and placed it in the enclosure. I saw it's fangs on it so it probably drank some.

cold blood

Staff member
:banghead::banghead:

ALL living things require water.

yeah the set up can only be described as brutal....It literally has NONE of the things it needs.

1. A hide

2. A water dish.

3 Enough substrate to facilitate burrowing.

and if that's not enough, its got way way too much vertical height, making it unsafe as well as poorly set up.

Its definitely a death curl IMO, and its actions combine with the curl scream dehydrated. It needs water of it will die shortly.

Ts like dark, tight places to hide...open spaces, which is literally all its got, can be stressful for a t.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
:banghead::banghead:

ALL living things require water.

yeah the set up can only be described as brutal....It literally has NONE of the things it needs.

1. A hide

2. A water dish.

3 Enough substrate to facilitate burrowing.

and if that's not enough, its got way way too much vertical height, making it unsafe as well as poorly set up.

Its definitely a death curl IMO, and its actions combine with the curl scream dehydrated. It needs water of it will die shortly.
Yeah I didn't have any materials to make a hide so I put the enclosure under my bed where it's dark

I just placed a small bottle cap and filled it to the top with water

Yeah the substrate. I didn't buy enough substrate..... I thought one pack was enough. I'll buy some more

Ts like dark, tight places to hide...open spaces, which is literally all its got, can be stressful for a t.[

cold blood

Staff member
Make a hide? Are you trolling?? People with ts, do not "make" hides generally. Just about anything can be used as a hide. I guarantee I could find multiple hides both within your home and around your neighborhood.

I would use a water dish roughly the same size as that t.

CakeLore

Arachnosquire
As others have said that spider needs a place to hide, some water, and more substrate. These are things you need to provide for this animal now, or it will not be healthy or happy. The legs could be curled due to dehydration. They use fluid to move, essentially inflating their legs to extend them and if they're dehydrated they're unable to do this. Please make sure it has access to water and take anything like a piece of wood (NO cedar or pine), a piece of pottery, a bowl, a cup or mug, anything so that it can crawl inside it and hide. It's a spider and they like to feel secure in an enclosed space sometimes. Right now this is the equivalent of putting a person in the middle of a completely flat desert with no shelter from the elements, no water, and nothing to do.

It needs to be more than just dark. They don't rely much on eyesight and are mostly blind, actually. They need to have a place to physically hide.

SysAdmin

Arachnopeon
Make a hide? Are you trolling?? People with ts, do not "make" hides generally. Just about anything can be used as a hide. I guarantee I could find multiple hides both within your home and around your neighborhood.

I would use a water dish roughly the same size as that t.
Okay so I dug a spot at the corner of the enclosure and placed some cardboard over it.