Is this terrarium big enough for a female L. Parahybana?

Nandi

Arachnopeon
I'm going to get a young female LP. I had tarantulas before, so I have an empty terrarium which is 25x35cm. Will it be enough as her lifetime enclosure? Or should I take her into a bigger terrarium if she gets adult?

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
That's almost 10 X 14 inches. Most people recommend around a 10 gallon tank for LPs, which is 10 X 20. So, that might be a little on the small size for a full grown specimen, but it could hold her for much of her 'growing up' phase.

Last edited:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I have my almost full grown LP in a 10 gallon, which is the perfect size. Unlike many t's, Lp's will utilize space. They aren't the 10" monsters some claim, but they get much larger than most.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm going to get a young female LP. I had tarantulas before, so I have an empty terrarium which is 25x35cm. Will it be enough as her lifetime enclosure? Or should I take her into a bigger terrarium if she gets adult?
25 X 35 X... ? :-s

Anyway I suggest for an adult 0.1 L.parahybana at least a min. 40 cm large one.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
um, no. ive recently seen so many people recommend 10 gallons for a 7 inch spider. waste. of. space. my Hysteocrates is about 6.5" and her 5 gallon is her life time enclosure. a 10g is absolutely not needed.
if you have the space and just want a bigger terrarium, go for it. but its by no means a necessity.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
um, no. ive recently seen so many people recommend 10 gallons for a 7 inch spider. waste. of. space. my Hysteocrates is about 6.5" and her 5 gallon is her life time enclosure. a 10g is absolutely not needed.
if you have the space and just want a bigger terrarium, go for it. but its by no means a necessity.
I don't know, a 5gal might be a tad too small. Burrowing species are like arboreals in that burrowing depth matters more than floor space, so I'm sure your spider is comfortable. But my 7.5" T. stirmi fits perfectly in a 10gal that has been modded to lay on its side; much smaller and I think she'd be cramped. Given that LP's often reach the same size, I'd go with that.

But as been said, it'll be awhile until that kind of space is needed.

This is her current setup. Might look a tad large, but she uses the space. Large terrestrials seem to roam more than their smaller cousins.
IMG_1846.JPG

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't know, a 5gal might be a tad too small. Burrowing species are like arboreals in that burrowing depth matters more than floor space, so I'm sure your spider is comfortable. But my 7.5" T. stirmi fits perfectly in a 10gal that has been modded to lay on its side; much smaller and I think she'd be cramped. Given that LP's often reach the same size, I'd go with that.

This is her current setup. Might look a tad large, but she uses the space. Large terrestrials seem to roam more than their smaller cousins.
View attachment 235690
all my big spiders are pokies and a couple 6" NW terrestrials, dont really have any giant terrestrials yet. but when i do, i doubt id be willing to keep them all in 10gs. maybe one or two display tanks, but not all of them.

Storm1028

Arachnosquire
Not trying to change the subject and I didn't feel like starting another thread because there's one here. Anyway, would a 12" x 12" x 12" (7.5 gallon) terrarium be a good sized enclosure for an adult M. balfouri?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Not trying to change the subject and I didn't feel like starting another thread because there's one here. Anyway, would a 12" x 12" x 12" (7.5 gallon) terrarium be a good sized enclosure for an adult M. balfouri?
Yes. :D

TheSanguineSaint

Arachnosquire
I have read that a living space two times the width of their bodies and 3 times the length is best. Also that the depth for burrowers be the times as deep as the width of their bodies??? I just give my full grown space that allows them to move around and burrow and little chance to injure themselves with falling. I've kept T's for 6 years and mine seem happy are good molters and eaters. I think I will leave well enough alone...I may be wrong but it works for us. *touch wood*

StampFan

Arachnodemon
But my 7.5" T. stirmi fits perfectly in a 10gal that has been modded to lay on its side; much smaller and I think she'd be cramped. Given that LP's often reach the same size, I'd go with that.

View attachment 235690
Any chance you could take the time to share how you did this mod? Sounds ideal.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
AF L. difficilis in a 6.5 gallon tank (L18" x W10" x H10"), she's over 6 inches DLS and she's got tons of space, she'd still have tons if she got to 7+ inches, a 10 gallon just seems unnecessary for anything under 8" imo.

20994050_1838634576149973_6149888667388093324_n.jpg

Marc saxby

Arachnopeon
I have my almost full grown LP in a 10 gallon, which is the perfect size. Unlike many t's, Lp's will utilize space. They aren't the 10" monsters some claim, but they get much larger than most.
Hey buddy could i see the size of your ten gallon tank and where do u buy them ? Do u convert a fish tank ?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah it's a ten gallon fish tank with a plastic lid. It's not a huge difference in floor space of a 5.5 gallon, but the depth was utilized in making a deep burrow as well. She's nearly always on display, but they all go in their hide once in awhile.

Attachments

Marc saxby

Arachnopeon
Yeah it's a ten gallon fish tank with a plastic lid. It's not a huge difference in floor space of a 5.5 gallon, but the depth was utilized in making a deep burrow as well. She's nearly always on display, but they all go in their hide once in awhile.
Thanks buddy