Is this substrate OK? "POTTING MIX"

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It just says its "potting mix". "No soil. No dirt." And says its a balanced bled of organic ingredients, formulated to eliminate problems caused by garden soil. It really look like soil, and feels like soil. I chose the none chemical time-release. Just wondering if its ok.

- Made from natural ingredients.
- No dirt and soil-borne diseases.
- delivers air and water to plant roots.
- will not get hard and compacted over time.
- packaged with no weed seeds and pests.

It also say not to add soil cuz its formulated to take tyhe place of soil.

BIG THANKS!

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[QUOTE=lizmotobike;947267

pure peat is the best . some people like the coconut stuff

who likes what best e.g. PURE PEAT - or - THE COCONUT STUFF i go for the coconut stuff as it easier for me to work with and not as heavy for me ( i am a bit of a wuss LOL:8o :8o --- PHIL

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pure peat is about $5 for about 40lbs. You can't go wrong and it will last you a long time.

jen650s

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, Potting Mix is the same as potting soil.

If you look carefully no commercial "potting soil" has any soil in it. And yes, it might harm your Ts since it doesn't say what woods are used to make up the bulk of it. Most potting soils/mixes are made mostly of lumber production by products which are partially composted and then have other stuff added. And most of the common products contain cedar, juniper and redwood all of which have bug repellant qualities.

If it doesn't say exactly what is used to make it don't use it!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
potting soils might be fine for species that like drier conditions but I dont like it for moist species as it does not hold moisture very well

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some companies employ entomopathogenic nematodes as a means to control pests in the peat.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I swear by potting soil. It is very inexpensive, and when you have a large collection, that's a big factor.

I just read lables carefully.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Peat is the best. I have used the Cocunut stuff when I started with a Laisodora Parahybana. And since I was keeping it slightly moist over time it developed a white fuzz (Mold?) No mater what I did it continued to develop. If its dry than maybe it would be ok but I will never use it again. I have bought pure peat from Ebay before. Cheap.
I use no other for any tarantula species desert or tropical.