Is this signs of DKS?

Barnclai

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I got my avic back in early November from TSS they said she has just recently moulted so was delayed in sending, but since i have had her she has not eaten and hasn't made any webbing and isn't very active, me and my partner have managed to try and syringe drop food onto her fangs once last week but she just let it sit there and has moved around a little more since this but she is very 'jumpy' can everyone advise if this is early signs of DKS? And anything we can do to help her survive? She taps one foot if i gently stroke her with an paint brush ( i tried to upload a short video but it wont allow me too)

Any advice would be appreciated

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Is she so weak she lets you turn her over?
Can you post pictures of her and her set up? This helps to rule out causes.
DKS is not a disease on to itself, it is just a bunch of symptoms that are caused by something else, like a runny nose is a symptom of a cold.

Barnclai

Arachnopeon
Is she so weak she lets you turn her over?
Can you post pictures of her and her set up? This helps to rule out causes.
DKS is not a disease on to itself, it is just a bunch of symptoms that are caused by something else, like a runny nose is a symptom of a cold.

Hello,
No she didn't let us she kept trying to escape, we had her walk on a piece kitchen roll then when at the edge she would stop so we just about managed it, but i think it stressed her out so don't want to keep doing it un its needed-- update she's now on the floor this is the first time i have ever see her like this

Attachments

Barnclai

Arachnopeon
Hello,
No she didn't let us she kept trying to escape, we had her walk on a piece kitchen roll then when at the edge she would stop so we just about managed it, but i think it stressed her out so don't want to keep doing it un its needed-- update she's now on the floor this is the first time i have ever see her like this

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Forcing her to walk/turn isn't the best idea, so I'm glad you let her be. Has she been near the waterdish like this if her own accord, or did you put her there? I'm asking because if she went there by herself, she might be dehydrated. Topping off the waterdish is important. If you put her there, that's okay as well, since she might be dehydrated. How is her abdomen? Plump or shriveled?
The only thing I see what needs to be changed is adding more leaves and branches from the middle to the top of the bark, and that the enclosure is a little big for it.

There is nothing that you can do to improve her instantly I'm afraid. Keep the waterdish full, if she is weak you can put her mouthparts in the waterdish to keep her hydrated.
Otherwise I would leave her alone in a dark quiet warm spot.
@cold blood , any ideas?

Barnclai

Arachnopeon
Forcing her to walk/turn isn't the best idea, so I'm glad you let her be. Has she been near the waterdish like this if her own accord, or did you put her there? I'm asking because if she went there by herself, she might be dehydrated. Topping off the waterdish is important. If you put her there, that's okay as well, since she might be dehydrated. How is her abdomen? Plump or shriveled?
The only thing I see what needs to be changed is adding more leaves and branches from the middle to the top of the bark, and that the enclosure is a little big for it.

There is nothing that you can do to improve her instantly I'm afraid. Keep the waterdish full, if she is weak you can put her mouthparts in the waterdish to keep her hydrated.
Otherwise I would leave her alone in a dark quiet warm spot.
@cold blood , any ideas?

She moved herself there I have been topping it up daily,
I would say her abdomen is small I wouldn't say shrivelled but defiantly small
I'll move her so,we here darker and warmer now hopefully at helps
Thanks for the advice

cold blood

Staff member
that set up is probably the issue....barren is bad...you want lots of clutter (plants) around that wood....theres absolutely nothing in that enclosure to offer it any security.

id go with a smaller enclosure as well.

i just set one up for a small avic the other day....later i can get a pic and post it as an example later if need be.

stop fondling and harrassing it...thats a start....you simply cannot force a t to eat like you attempted.

cold blood

Staff member

Notice even behind the wood there's moss to give the spiderling something to work with.

This is a 16oz deli cup.