Is this safe? Peat?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All I can find is Miracle Gro peat. Nowhere else has any other brand. I need to know some brands to get and whether or not the Miracle Gro stuff is safe. I was told all it had was plant food in it, but I don't know if that's harmful or not. So what brand peat do you use and where do you get it?

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Umm, I would personally be hesitant as I don't actually know what is in it. Possible that it may have some pesticides in it so unless confirmed on here, I'd stay away from it. I get my peat from my LPS. It's like a mix between peat and something else, but it holds moisture well and does not mold. I think the brand is ZooMed though I am not 100% possitive on that. What are you using now and why do you want to change?

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Just check the bag to see if it's all natural and has no additives. Miracle Grow is just the brand name; It doesn't automatically mean that the soil has "miracle grow"junk in it.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most of those Miracle Grow products do indeed have the fertilizer in them since they are a company who sells fertilizer, not soil :)

While I was looking around at the big name centers that is the only peat they had and all of it had fertilizer in it; every single bag and type with the Miracle Grow name. Now as Hobo said there may be the possibility they do make some but I've never seen it. It may exist however where I find my 3cu bale of regular peat was not at the big name centers but a local lawn care/landscaping service.

They don't have a store nor a shop but I called and discussed what I was looking for and they had a bale out in the truck I could have for pennies since he uses a lot in the landscaping job.

It may be easier to do that since I've been told, in my area at least with winter approaching, they don't stock it after mid summer at the big name centers since they don't sell much of the straight bales.

Good luck Chris..

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it, because chances are that it has fertilizers in it. If you have a garden store/ nursery/ greenhouse near you, that is where I would check. They almost always have it and it is cheaper than you get at Wal/Depot/Lowe's.

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Chris, Maybe you already know but I've heard of the packaging throwing a few other keepers off momentarily. The good peat comes in large compressed square bales wrapped in heavy usually white or yellow plastic. They are easy to miss on a walk-though because they're stacked so neatly, often forming a solid wall at garden centers. They're large at 2.? cubic feet and fairly heavy. I saw them at Lowe's the other day, along with other "bag" forms of the product.

Agreed with an above post- I have yet to see a miracle grow product other than the applicators that do not have the plant dope in 'em. :)

Terry

Shaka

Arachnopeon
Guys, check with the manufacturer or read the label carefully.

A lot of Miracle Gro products are used to grow plants and vegetables, including fertilizers etc, BUT these days Hydroponic growing is something that is catching on very fast, and peat is very often used as the growing medium which must be totally void of chemicals or fertilisers which are ALL supplied via the Hydroponic system, so you will probably find that MiracleGro Peat could be very clean, thus i say check with the manufacturer on their helpline or read the label in case it has any important info.

What we have down here are compressed Peat Bricks, its about the size of a normal building brick, and you drop in in half a bucket of water, and it expands almost over filling the bucket when fully expanded. Ask at your local nurseries about this, don't know if it's available in the states, but it's clean, cheap and you get a WHOLE LOT for what you pay.

Shaka

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Chris, I've got to get another bag myself, I can split it with you next time I come through the boro if you can't find any. It is something like $7 for 4 cubic feet.