is this really a boehmei, or other?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
hey all! saw this T posted on CL for dirt cheap. listed as a "redknee" but i know it most certainly is not ;) i believe it's female, and it's pretty good size too! got a screamin deal on her, but i would like to know for sure if it's a boehmei (which is my guess, but i'm not that great with brachy's). let me know what you think and please include any reasons why. thanks!

Last edited:

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like a B. boehmei to me. Actually I am 100% sure it is. From the carapace you can tell it is B. boehmei and not a B. baumgarteni.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
thanks! and not at all, $20! i thought that was a pretty good deal!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yep you're right. thank you CL T owners. i noticed that when i picked her up. as soon as i got home i put 2 water dishes in with her.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
those are my pics. :embarrassed:

sure hope it's female, i think it is. haven't had a chance to check out everything yet though ;)

Last edited:

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
$20?that's a steal!b.boehmei females at that size easily go for $100+!nice!

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Yeah great deal. Definetly looks dehydrated to me. Is she behaving normal? lethargic at all?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
behaving fine. i'm sure she'll be 100% after tonight when she finally gets a good drink :)

spiderworld

Arachnosquire
behaving fine. i'm sure she'll be 100% after tonight when she finally gets a good drink :)
Great job! you sometimes find where you bought it from doesnt know how to look after it that well! so they get scared its going to die, so they sell it very cheap just to get some money instead of nothing when it pegs! instead of doing a little homework on the sp and looking after it properly! Anyway works out great for you! Looks like she needs some hidrating! Even dampen parts of the substrate for her! Also see if she will take some food! ill put some pics up of my adults i little later! so you can compare!

Last edited:

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Question-What's wrong with her butt?

It looks like (to me) that she got pissed off way too many times and left a hairtrail wherever she went.

Orrr, maybee this species has a bald butt?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
butt- bald b/c of kicking urticating hairs, wrinkley b/c of dehydration

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
That's what I thought. It looks OVERLY excessive, Would you consider that Tarantula abuse?

When I got my G.rosea from petco (yeah, I know. bad me..) she had some balding going on and to me it looked like Crusty skin, So I figured she was sick (before I knew anything about t's.. I sorta got her at a whim- but was planning on getting one.) But later realized it was Nothing that a molt couldnt fix.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what I thought. It looks OVERLY excessive, Would you consider that Tarantula abuse?

When I got my G.rosea from petco (yeah, I know. bad me..) she had some balding going on and to me it looked like Crusty skin, So I figured she was sick (before I knew anything about t's.. I sorta got her at a whim- but was planning on getting one.) But later realized it was Nothing that a molt couldnt fix.
It is either kicking hairs cause it is going bald or it is in pre-molt. If there was anything it would tarantula negligence, rather than abuse.

EDIT: Looking at your Siggy I can see you tried to insert a siggy like on other forums, this site doesn't show it like other different types of forums do.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
It is either kicking hairs cause it is going bald or it is in pre-molt. If there was anything it would tarantula negligence, rather than abuse.

EDIT: Looking at your Siggy I can see you tried to insert a siggy like on other forums, this site doesn't show it like other different types of forums do.
Well, If it was neglected wouldnt it still have the hair, Because it would have no reason to Kick them..It would just be Skinny, And i know the T in the pictures is a little dehydrated, so it could be a combination. But I guess it goes to the argument about weather or not they should be Handled, and IMO Its choice, I handle mine RARELY, Last time was after she molted To change substrates and to get pictures. Before that was a month. but that's besides the point.

Sig- I noticed, lol. It's actually from Another forum I belong to, But am not currently active in.
One thing I havent figured out is why my post count is at 0??

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, If it was neglected wouldnt it still have the hair, Because it would have no reason to Kick them..It would just be Skinny, And i know the T in the pictures is a little dehydrated, so it could be a combination. But I guess it goes to the argument about weather or not they should be Handled, and IMO Its choice, I handle mine RARELY, Last time was after she molted To change substrates and to get pictures. Before that was a month. but that's besides the point.

Sig- I noticed, lol. It's actually from Another forum I belong to, But am not currently active in.
One thing I havent figured out is why my post count is at 0??
Takes a little bit to update, but it will trust me. I wasn't calling it neglected, I was merely stating how I do not think abuse would be the appropriate term. I think it is just in pre-molt or the previous owner handled it a lot, but it does look dehydrated. I am sure OP is working on getting the beautiful girl healthy.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer

Its not in pre-molt. The abdomen isnt turning dark. Looks like someone was bothering it quite a bit. And not feeding or watering it for long periods. Maybe they got it as a childs pet and lost interest in it.. Who knows. They are great eaters btw/ Enjoy! :D