is this pre molt behavior?

sharky2

Arachnopeon
My chilean rose hasn't eaten for a few weeks and i cant tell if it has drank much either. for the past few days she has been standing kind of diagonally against a branch and not moving. today i blew on her lightly and she did move so it is not dead, but since its not on its back im not sure if its molting or just... lazy? does anybody know whats going on?

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My chilean rose hasn't eaten for a few weeks and i cant tell if it has drank much either. for the past few days she has been standing kind of diagonally against a branch and not moving. today i blew on her lightly and she did move so it is not dead, but since its not on its back im not sure if its molting or just... lazy? does anybody know whats going on?
That just sounds like a Grammostola rosea being a Grammostola rosea....

It is not uncommon for many Chilean species to fast for long periods of time, even as long as a year and a half in some cases, I dont think its anything for you to worry about, and it may well indeed be in pre-moult, all you need to do is make sure it has access to water dish and I'm sure it will be fine.

:)

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
and to show you the drastic differences in G. Rosea line, mine thinks it's an OBT and will attack any thing and everything that comes in to its cage with a fierce aggression. However, if you prod it out of the container, you can pick it up, hold it, etc. etc. and never have any signs that it would try to pull you inside it's container and eat you...

It even went as far to dig through all of it's substrate (which is like 5 inches thick) to find the little isopods (pillbugs, rolly pollies) that were burrowing underneath it. It did this after hours of tapping the ground with it's front feet, I'm guessing to keep the little guys moving so it could zero in on it...it was a blast to watch =P

They are one of the craziest of Ts, IMHO.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Rosies are awsome mine does the thing where it sits in one side of the tank by its hide and does not move but the slightest presence of crickets and she goes into predator mode and hunts them down, she attacks a cammel hair brush when i try to brush her to get her to relax but never attacks my hand and is ever so gentle when i take her out to handle

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
Rosies are awsome mine does the thing where it sits in one side of the tank by its hide and does not move but the slightest presence of crickets and she goes into predator mode and hunts them down, she attacks a cammel hair brush when i try to brush her to get her to relax but never attacks my hand and is ever so gentle when i take her out to handle

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
:?

bryanon

Arachnopeon
my rose hair didn't eat for 6 months straight last year, and she seems to have started again this year, already hasn't eaten for about a month. I don't know why this is, but I think it's seasonal (I keep her by a window that always has light coming through it) or perhaps overfeeding. don't worry about it, just keep the water bowl full though

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
my rose hair didn't eat for 6 months straight last year, and she seems to have started again this year, already hasn't eaten for about a month. I don't know why this is, but I think it's seasonal (I keep her by a window that always has light coming through it) or perhaps overfeeding. don't worry about it, just keep the water bowl full though
Really? Dont keep your T by the window, Most (probobly all) species are nocturnal, and dont need the light. You dont want to come home one day to a baked T now do you?

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He means he's using a camel hair brush, suitable for photography and other things, to move the T.

He didn't say a single thing giving us the inkling he was using it to move a T. He specifically said Brush her to get her to relax...

Do you seriously brush your T's to make them relax? :rolleyes:

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
He didn't say a single thing giving us the inkling he was using it to move a T. He specifically said Brush her to get her to relax...

Do you seriously brush your T's to make them relax? :rolleyes:
Hehe yea I know but doing photography back in the day I used SLR cameras and had a brush from camel hair so I guess I kinda read into it more than most :)

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Didnt word myself too good there. Basically what ichtinike said. I have a set of painting brushes that are 1/4" wide or so and they are made out of camel hair. I get my T's to move with them without blowing on them and making them think its a predator and having a defence responce. Also believe it or not if you gently brush the abdomen of some T's with one of those you can get them to calm down a great deal the soft natural camel hair bristles calm them down or atleast so i think and it beats sticking your hand in a tank with a moody T like my rosie and geting gangster bit because she doesnt like the way earth is spinning today

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Really? Dont keep your T by the window, Most (probobly all) species are nocturnal, and dont need the light. You dont want to come home one day to a baked T now do you?
The only time you really have fear of baking your T, is when you have little to no ventilation and it is in direct sunlight. Then the greenhouse effect can kick in and you have problems. If you have a screen lid, or TONS of ventilation it should be fine.

Our G. rosea has a light on her enclosure for her plants and will actually seek it out and bask in the light. Some Ts are more photosensitive than others, but this species(in our situation) is not. She is also one of our most interesting Ts with her multi-level burrow and constant remodeling.