Is this ok?, For my avicularia versicolor

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
The enclosure itself is fine, but I'd add a lot more foliage for cover and webbing. Avics definitely utilize that in my experience. If you wanted, you could get rid of the vast majority of substrate. I haven't had an adult avic burrow at all - the most I've gotten is some dirt curtains. Not like too much substrate is harmful of course. Also, may as well ditch the thermometer/hydrometer in there. Inaccurate and useless in this hobby. All it'll do is make you chase numbers that don't matter.

Adhy tjong

Arachnopeon
The enclosure itself is fine, but I'd add a lot more foliage for cover and webbing. Avics definitely utilize that in my experience. If you wanted, you could get rid of the vast majority of substrate. I haven't had an adult avic burrow at all - the most I've gotten is some dirt curtains. Not like too much substrate is harmful of course. Also, may as well ditch the thermometer/hydrometer in there. Inaccurate and useless in this hobby. All it'll do is make you chase numbers that don't matter.
Thanks for your help, :)

My only concern is wait her to webbing, I rehouse her 3 days ago and until now she not webbing at all

Last edited by a moderator:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
My only concern is wait her to webbing, I rehouse her 3 days ago and until now she not webbing at all
Yup, that's what the foliage is for ;) You can pick up fake plants at most pet stores. I get mine at hobby stores. I won't name locations because we live half a world apart, but stores that sell fake flowers for decoration, you know? Go for the leafy fake plants. Flowers don't do you much good, you want it to look like ivy.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Firstly, it's Caribena versicolor now, they were moved from Avicularia like 2 years ago.

The enclosure itself is fine (if a bit on the large side) but it's set up completely wrong, ditch that tube hide and replace it with a large piece of wood/bark that extends from the floor to around 3/4 the height of the enclosure and lean it against one of the back corners. Once you've done that you'll need to add plant clutter around the top of the piece of wood/bark, it'll use these as cover and as anchor points for its webbing. Ditch the temp/humidity gauge, while the digital ones are more accurate than those dial things they're not needed for tarantula keeping, either return it or just use it to monitor the room temperature (that's all I use mine for).

Also, don't fret if it doesn't web for ages, Avicularinae generally only web when they are close to moulting.

Edit: I'd also swap that water dish for one that's about an inch or so deep and 4 or so inches wide.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
It's actually Caribena versicolor now, They were removed from the Avicularia genus two years ago into the Caribena genus after the Avicularia genus revision in 2017.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks for your help, :)

WHY is that a concern?? They will do it on their own time, not their owners time. The endless concern of webbing and pre-molt here is beyond belief.

The setup is decent, but not sufficient as you don't have enough foliage. You also don't need the LCD display. Keep the setup dry, with a bowl of water.

The last picture is MUCH MUCH better.

Aarantula

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi, i'm wandering about this type of enclosure, is this ok for my adult avicularia versicolor?

She just hang on that spot and doesn't move regularly, but the good news is, she still eat

Need help!! :(
I love that acrylic enclosure. Where did you get it?