1. Important Announcement - Upcoming Downtime - Software Upgrade

Please see here for more details.
Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by MogiCorp, Jan 16, 2020.

1. MogiCorp

MogiCorp Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I have had an A.Seemanni for about three weeks now and she did quite a lot last night. Her previously clean bowl had substrate in it so she clearly did some bulldozing or something and now I see two new bald spots on her.

She is on a shelf on the side of my bed so when I move a lot I believe it shakes the enclosure a bit (I see the water in the water bowl moving). Could that be stressing her out? image.jpg image.jpg

2. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnodemon

That looks like too much height and nowhere near enough substrate for a seemanni

• Like Like x 1
  3. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Your substrate needs to be deeper and damp.

yeah, id move it to a more stable location where its not effected by your movements.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MogiCorp

MogiCorp Arachnosquire

The sub as of now is about 5inches and she is an adult. I’ll soak some more eco earth today and put it in there. What I’ve been doing is mostly flooding the area as it absorbs extremely quickly (not near her) but it’s uneven because I mixed dry and wet before.

5. cold blood

It doesnt matter what the depth of the sub is right now....it needs more because of the enclosure you are using. Theres too much distance from the sub to the top.

6. MogiCorp

MogiCorp Arachnosquire

How can I efficiently dampen the whole thing? It’s mixed with some dry right now and the water won’t sink all the way down. I’m gonna soak some coco fiber and put it on top of that tonight but how can I get the water to sink all the way to the bottom?

7. jrh3

jrh3 ArachnoTitan Arachnosupporter

I use 2 methods depending on the enclosure. 1.) take a turkey baster and stick it to the bottom and squeeze it in the bottom. 2.) you can use something to slide down the side of the enclosure and pour water against the side. This will allow it to go straight to the bottom. A bamboo skewer works perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. cold blood

As mentioned, i simply pour water at the sides...it penetrates deep and allows me to monitor the dampness as i add.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. jaw6053

jaw6053 Arachnosquire Arachnosupporter

A Seemani love to dig. I got mine 3 weeks ago and it didn't start digging this until after 2 weeks. She is stained in brown at the moment from all of the work digging up the substrate the past 2 weeks. One thing I thought was amazing, she would dig up substrate, carry it up n out and then spread it perfectly even on top. Has completely ignored the cork bark hide, only using it to pack excess substrate under it.

Attached Files:

10. Deeper substrate for burrowing -- also keep 1/4 to 1/3 of substrate damper (not muddy, just damper substrate). They will often burrow in captivity and appreciate a bit of dampness on one side.

11. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnoknight

Agreed with everyone on additional substrate. As for the bald spots, spiders kick hairs for pretty much any reason. Protecting their hides/burrows, they feel threatened, they want to spider, anything. So I wouldn't worry about that part.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.