Is..this normal...?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I've never seen that before, it is rather interesting. is it walking around with a water drop on its fangs? I don't see any potential harm here

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
None of my T have ever done that (that I know of) my guess is that it's just drinking. Is there a waterdish in the enclosure or do you mist/use an eye dropper?
I mist it when the substrate is dry... I just check on the T again, the water's gone.. He/She went back on eating the food:hurting::hurting: This T is making me paranoid.. lol

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
What species it is? and how big? Maybe the T mistook the water for food? Most of the things they do are a mystery to us to be honest.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
No, I wouldn't consider that normal. I've heard of this happening and it seems to exclusively occur when there is little to no ventilation, can you snap some pics of your setup? I don't see much holes...

KenTheOtherBugGuy

Arachnosquire
No, I wouldn't consider that normal. I've heard of this happening and it seems to exclusively occur when there is little to no ventilation, can you snap some pics of your setup? I don't see much holes...
I have two slings but the other one doesn't do it... Same enclosure.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
It could be grooming fluid. I've seen drops around the mouth of my adult Ts when they are grooming. I've never seen one that big on so small a T before.

I've never heard of lack of ventilation causing drops on the undersides of Ts. You'd likely have condensation on the enclosure side long before it formed on a T.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have two slings but the other one doesn't do it... Same enclosure.
Don't know what your other sling is, but housing a G.rosea in a moist deli cup that lacks airflow is a bad idea. I would add some holes and make sure the substrate isn't overly moist. These are a species that thrive in a relatively dry environment.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
On a 2.25" container. Some said water dish isn't recommended for slings because they can drown, they said mist the enclosure instead...
They cannot drown, their hydrophobic setae doesn't allow for it. I would add a waterdish and let the sub dry out. As for the water drop...my best guess is a condensation drop that just stuck to it's fangs

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It could be grooming fluid. I've seen drops around the mouth of my adult Ts when they are grooming. I've never seen one that big on so small a T before.

I've never heard of lack of ventilation causing drops on the undersides of Ts. You'd likely have condensation on the enclosure side long before it formed on a T.
It's not about condensation, the liquid protruding from the fangs wasn't "picked up" there is not even a water dish in the enclosure. This means the source is the spider, although you haven't heard of this, I have. They all had bad ventilation in common.

A friend of mine had a T die this way, he thought it was in pre molt but it failed to molt and he found it with a big water drop just like this one on his fangs. When he showed me the enclosure he had it in, there was not enough ventilation, and IMO lack of ventilation is the ultimate T killer.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
the liquid protruding from the fangs wasn't "picked up" there is not even a water dish in the enclosure.
What do you mean by liquid protruding from the fangs & it wasn't picked up? Do you mean the liquid didn't evaporate? I'm a bit confused.
This means the source is the spider
Ts produce liquid for grooming. Mine do it all the time. That's what I guessed it likely was though as noted I've not seen such a small sling make so much at one time.

lack of ventilation is the ultimate T killer.
It is a big factor in some T deaths but it's not a cause of a lot of T problems.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
What do you mean by liquid protruding from the fangs & it wasn't picked up? Do you mean the liquid didn't evaporate? I'm a bit confused.
I thought you had implied the liquid came from condensation, I misread your post. What I was trying to say was I've heard of similar symptoms that led to a dead T. The grooming liquid you speak of is new to me. I've seen my Ts groom themselves but never saw any water drops hanging from their fangs. Just seems odd...

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I thought you had implied the liquid came from condensation, I misread your post. What I was trying to say was I've heard of similar symptoms that led to a dead T. The grooming liquid you speak of is new to me. I've seen my Ts groom themselves but never saw any water drops hanging from their fangs. Just seems odd...
No worries.

It's hard to tell if there is an issue with ventilation or how damp the substrate is from that photo. For tiny slings in 2oz condiment cups I don't poke any ventilation. I've found that the cups I use doesn't seal tight and they get good air flow just from that. I do monitor the moisture level in the substrate for those more closely than I do for the enclosures with a lot of ventilation.

As far as the setup goes... The substrate should be lightly damp and you should ensure there isn't condensation build up on the inside of the enclosure. If there is add some vent holes. I use small water cups in all my enclosures (even the tiny ones).

Grooming liquid is just like your Mom licking her hand and using it to make your cowlick lay down. They usually don't make that big a drop of grooming liquid from what I have seen but I doubt it's anything to worry over.