Is this normal?

Cayson

Arachnopeon
image.jpeg i was getting ready to mist the substrate and I noticed that h/she is getting bigger does this mean soemthing? I'm talking about the greyish area near the legs, no idea whats goining on :(

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
In your other thread you said she wasn't eating, right?

If she isn't eating and still getting bigger she may be gravid.

Which means you need to hurry up with adding another layer of at least 4" of moist substrate.

Cayson

Arachnopeon
In your other thread you said she wasn't eating, right?

If she isn't eating and still getting bigger she may be gravid.

Which means you need to hurry up with adding another layer of at least 4" of moist substrate.[/QUOTE
it's a she?! And whats gravid and she is eating do i need to soak the substrate and squeeze it out

Cayson

Arachnopeon
She dosent have a hide anymore, I had to take it out, but she can dig under the water dish shelf, i have a shelf under it so if she dug under the dish it wouldnt fall on her. im goining to go get a bigger tank tomrrow because she looks really cramped,

Cayson

Arachnopeon
Also i went to look at her food and they were all dead! And little bugs where flying around in the cricket container

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
She dosent have a hide anymore, I had to take it out, but she can dig under the water dish shelf, i have a shelf under it so if she dug under the dish it wouldnt fall on her. im goining to go get a bigger tank tomrrow because she looks really cramped,
If you have an appropriately sized dish and a hide or two you shouldn't have to worry about it calling on her. She doesn't need a shelf.

What size is the tank and how big is she again? (Sorry I don't remember).

Cayson

Arachnopeon
5.5 gallon tank and she is about 4-5inchs She barely fits in her water dish

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
5.5 gallon tank and she is about 4-5inchs She barely fits in her water dish
5.5 is perfect. You just need to pack down the substrate a bit more and it won't look so cramped. They really don't need a lot of space.

I would remove the shelf and add a half of a terra cotta pot or some cork bark and make a starter burrow to encourage her to burrow there.

If it is indeed a gravid female she needs to feel as comfortable as possible to reduce the risk of her cannibalizing her young.

Cayson

Arachnopeon
I hope she isn't gavid :( I don't know enough about takeing care of just one yet

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hope she isn't gavid :( I don't know enough about takeing care of just one yet
It's alright. You're doing the best thing you can do right now which is seeking the information here. There is plenty of people here willing to help you along the way.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had phorids destroy my scorpions when they ran out of other matter to eat. In any case, always keep your enclosures clean! :)