is this normal?

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P Irimnia is now about 3.5" in legspan and (s)he molted about a month ago. (s)he ate and walked around the cage for about a week after just like normal but since then (s)he dug a burrow against the side of the cage, like a tunnel, and closed him/herself in there. i havent seen him/her come out for almost 3 weeks. Is (s)he okay? and how would she get his/her water? im worried about my little one because (s)he just sits in the borrow all day not moving very much. i make sure the temp and humidity levels are perfect. what can i do?

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My P Irimnia is now about 3.5" in legspan and (s)he molted about a month ago. (s)he ate and walked around the cage for about a week after just like normal but since then (s)he dug a burrow against the side of the cage, like a tunnel, and closed him/herself in there. i havent seen him/her come out for almost 3 weeks. Is (s)he okay? and how would she get his/her water? im worried about my little one because (s)he just sits in the borrow all day not moving very much. i make sure the temp and humidity levels are perfect. what can i do?
Keep providing food and water on a regular basis it will come out when thirsty and hungry. If you're really worried you can flood the burrow or go in and prod it to get it out and take a gander.

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As said, just keep offering food and water. If the food disappears, then you know your T is taking it. Your T could well be emerging while you sleep and sealing itself up again by morning. I have Ts that do this. They leave tell-tale clues like fresh poop on the walls, or substrate in the waterdish.

I personally wouldn't flood the burrow or prod around unless there's been no sign of movement for several months. As long as the enclosure conditions are adequate, if it's sealed in there, it's usually because it wants to be in there. :)

Last edited:

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The food isn't disappearing she's just staying in there. I'm worried she's going to die of dehydration or something. I poked the burrow and I saw her move a bit. I'm very worried about her. :(

whitewolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Just let it be. It'll come out when it needs something. Sometimes they come out and you never know it. It isn't going to commit suicide it knows what it needs to survive and part of that is doing what T's do best naturally... hide so a predator won't find them.

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just let it be. It'll come out when it needs something. Sometimes they come out and you never know it. It isn't going to commit suicide it knows what it needs to survive and part of that is doing what T's do best naturally... hide so a predator won't find them.

I lost my avic because she did the same thing and ended up dying shortly after molting. I just get really attatched to my little girls since I only have 3. If there's any sign tha something wrong I get paranoid. Thanks for the advice guys :D

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I lost my avic because she did the same thing and ended up dying shortly after molting. I just get really attatched to my little girls since I only have 3. If there's any sign tha something wrong I get paranoid. Thanks for the advice guys :D
Avics (the genus) are known for dying suddenly search for "SADS" or Sudden Avic Death Syndrome

The food isn't disappearing she's just staying in there. I'm worried she's going to die of dehydration or something. I poked the burrow and I saw her move a bit. I'm very worried about her. :(
The T will come out when it wants it, don't worry. It might be in a very long premoult if its barricaded its self in and wont eat.

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it just molted like a month ago... how can it molt again? :/ and yeah I know the Avic thing but i suspect that it might be loss of mosture. Also, if i need to completely clean out the cage because i saw little flies, how would i safely get her out of the cage so i could clean it? Shes fast :rolleyes:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
it just molted like a month ago... how can it molt again? :/ and yeah I know the Avic thing but i suspect that it might be loss of mosture. Also, if i need to completely clean out the cage because i saw little flies, how would i safely get her out of the cage so i could clean it? Shes fast :rolleyes:
I've read about some Ts forcing a molt in a short period of time due to an injury, so there's a slim chance it might be a molt. It could also just be full or something. If you're worried about hydration, you can wet a piece of it's burrow/tube web and it'll drink from there if it's thirsty... though if there are flies in there I'm thinking you might be keeping her a little too wet.

As for getting her out safely, depending on how small the cage is, you can put a large clear plastic bag over the top/opening with a rubber band, poke a small hole for your forceps/chopstick/whatever, and prod her into the plastic bag.
After that, you can seal/tie her in by closing off the middle of the bag, between the cage and the end of the bag. When you are done, you can easily put her back by placing the bag back over her enclosure and removing the seal, while manipulating the bag to get her to walk back in.

It's foolproof (just make sure the hole you poke isn't big enough for rgw spider to fit through!), and you won't have to go chasing spiders in your bathroom walls anymore. The only catch is that it doesn't work for very large enclosures... unless you can find a large enough bag!

toxic667

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its too big for that. :/ and i took out the top layer of dirt that looked like it was soaked and the flies seemed to have disappeared :rolleyes: