is this normal g rosea behavior?

TarantulaTonic

Arachnopeon
i've had my g rosea for about 2-3 years now, and i haven't really seen this behavior in other rosies i've seen on here. ever since i've had her she always coats the substrate in a thick mat of web whenever i throw out old substrate and put in new? she goes as far as putting webbing on the walls of the enclosure and in the corners, on her plastic plants, and she really gets every inch of substrate covered. is this normal? i've heard of molting mats but she has only ever molted once in my care which was a couple months ago. i like to think she is a late juvenile or adult? i am new to the aging stages.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So, first off, there's nothing wrong. It's a spider, it'll web when it feels like it. Honestly though, rosies aren't known for their webbing. Are you sure that's what you've got? Second off, how often are you changing the substrate? Unless you have a mite or mold problem, you shouldn't ever need to change it. Some of my specimens have had the same substrate for over two years. Just stay on top of spot cleaning and it's good indefinitely.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I agree with Eulersk there really is no need to change the substrate at all. There are many reasons Ts lay down webbing, be it a moult mat, egg sac, cover it in urticating hairs for protection from other preditors or even just to make it easier to sense possible prey in their territory.

Whatever the reason it is doing it for, it is totally normal behavior for a spider. Changing it all the time will stress your T when there is really no need.

As for G. rosea I have yet to see them lay more than a little webbing unless making an egg sac.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Completely normal. They line their living area with web so they know where everything is and can detect intruders, prey, etc.
As others have said, no need to ever change the substrate. My one rosea has been in the same 5 gallon tank for almost 10 years. She has the whole thing webbed over. Even in areas that aren't heavily webbed, if I try to pick up a bolus it is readily apparent that there are fine layers of webbing throughout.

TarantulaTonic

Arachnopeon
ahh okay, glad to know that this is fairly normal. i'm pretty sure she is a g rosea shes very pink and brown. ive only changed the substrate twice since ive had her, but now i know just to leave her be. thanks for the advice :embarrassed:

Estein

Arachnoknight
My porteri does the same thing. In the past few months she's been webbing to an extent that before I only saw when she laid down a molting mat--thick and very visible. I don't know what caused this change, but she's still healthy and eating so I haven't given it much concern. :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ahh okay, glad to know that this is fairly normal. i'm pretty sure she is a g rosea shes very pink and brown. ive only changed the substrate twice since ive had her, but now i know just to leave her be. thanks for the advice :embarrassed:
Remove boli or you'll get mites.