Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is this normal for a beginner?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Mr Tea, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Mr Tea

Mr Tea Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    After watching many YouTube videos of tarantula keepers I purchased a GBB juvie (1 1/4" diagonal leg span) almost one month ago. I find tarantulas and true spiders to be fascinating creatures. I started to watch the videos to overcome my uncomfortableness (not fear) of spiders.

He/she has eaten 6 or 7 B. lateralis over the first 3 weeks and has, a few days ago, seemingly gone into pre-molt. Everything is normal, it began to web almost immediately, but it just sits there.

So, my question is, do most keepers end up with many species of tarantulas because most of the time the tarantulas just sit there and we're just looking for something new?

I am asking this question because I am already contemplating purchasing one or two other species even though I originally intended to only own one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Liquifin

Liquifin Arachnoangel Active Member

Your answer varies from person to person with each person having there own motives for wanting more in the collection. Trust me, this hobby is addicting for sure. But I got over the impulse after 50 T.'s in my collection.

Also if it's in pre-molt then leave the little one alone until he molts. So nothing to worry about but your budget of wanting more T.'s :smug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Killertut

Killertut Arachnosquire

well, it is true that when you have 50 T's you always have something to watch, even if 15 T's are in premolt and have closed themselves off. :p

4. Mr Tea

Mr Tea Arachnopeon

Thanks for your reply... I'll probably wait a while before purchasing another one or two.

I'll leave it alone and let it do it's thing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Vanessa

Vanessa Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

Famous last words - I'm only going to have one.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. chanda

chanda Arachnoprince Active Member

Except when they are eating - which is usually only once a week or so - just sitting there is what most tarantulas do. If you're lucky - and depending on species, of course - "there" will be some place out in the open so you can actually see your spider, and not at the bottom of a burrow, behind a dirt curtain, or deep in a maze of webbing. But yeah, tarantulas are not normally terribly active - so if you buy more tarantulas, you're more likely to end up with more tarantulas - all just "sitting there."

That said, it is also normal to start wanting more spiders after you've gotten your first. When I started out, I thought "Who could possibly want more than one big, hairy spider?" But as you spend more time with them, get over being uneasy around them (if that's an issue), and start learning more about the incredible diversity of tarantulas, you may find yourself wanting more. Different species exhibit different qualities or characteristics that might appeal to you, whether it's pretty colors, distinctive markings, an aggressive feeding response, the ability to keep them communally, the ability to swim (looking at you, H. gigas!), or a host of other things.

Tarantula keeping is a surprisingly addictive hobby one you get started. It didn't take long for my "one big, hairy spider" to turn into a room full. Most of my spiders still spend the vast majority of their time "sitting there" - but that's ok. It's what they're supposed to do.

7. nicodimus22

nicodimus22 Arachnomancer Arachnosupporter

Well, they're supposed to just sit there. They're ambush predators. Some specimens are more active than others, but generally they sit in the same place a lot. The more you have, the greater chance that something interesting will be going on somewhere in your collection.

8. Mr Tea

Mr Tea Arachnopeon

Thanks.. I too am fascinated by the diversity of T's and also their ability to use their spinnerets to create webs (behind their "backs") to trap or signal the existence of prey. Amazing!

9. Mr Tea

Mr Tea Arachnopeon

Thanks, I realize that. I have owned snakes in the past and the snake that I own now just lays around in her hide all day, but at least she comes out most nights (she is nocturnal) to stroll around her enclosure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.