Is this normal behavior ?

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi again, yet nother query...

My Cobalts still have not yet eaten, they have been with me about 2 weeks now. I took the advice of mrderanged and covered them up. I used two old black shirts and covered each tank with it. Tried putting a cricket in there a few hours a day to see if they would take it, but no go : (

Now instead of burrowing, the female lay a span of webbing on the floor and just rests in the middle of it. The male has something similar going, but i read online that the males dont really burrow much anyways. The female on the other hand has burrowed a couple of times before so far, but after transfer to this final tank, and covering it up...all she has is that webbing on the floor which she rests on...

Anything to worry ?

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Is it possible your female is ready to molt? not eating and spinning a web on the floor to flip onto are classic signs.

Mark

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is exactly what is happening. You are about to have a spider molt on you. YAY

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
r0Xors!

YAY would be the word then! :D

I guess this is where i stop testing with crickets to see if she wants to eat or not.

Also, do i leave the dark cover on till after she molts or leave it?

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
She probably didn't bother burrowing because she felt secure with something covering the enclosure. I would say you should leave it on until after the molt after which you can take it off and she will probably burrow then....

Scott

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Though she is not eating, be aware that cobalts always lay web on the floor ready to molt or not, Im sure she is one her way but dont get you hopes up to quickly. Most asian T's are huge web layers.

Sincerely,

Brandon

VI6SIX

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd have to agree that copious amounts of web is normal asian behavior one of my favorite things to do is before I introduce a burrowing sp. into a new cage is I take a 2" dowel rod and start the burruw for her in a back corner of the tank 9 time out of 10 they adopt it and modify it to suit their needs ,but if you think she realy is ready to moult I wouldn't suggest messing with her at all just keep her warm and humid and keep your fingers crossed