Is this mold? and what to do!!

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I setup the tank for my B. Smithi 10 days ago, and she went into it on Friday night. I've just gottenhome from work and noticed this

Am I right in assuming this is mold?? The substrate is Coir and was put in pretty dry, and left a week before putting the T in.
If this is Mold, am I ok removing the top layer of substrate? Or will I need to change the lot.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mike

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
Looks like mold. Dry out the tank, and it will go away, or clean out the tank, and don't let the new substrate stay so wet...... You will get mold of some kind eventually, if your tank is kept stagnant..... If you keep it wet, keep it well ventilated.

Poolnymph

Arachnopeon
That is definately mould. You can scrap off the top layer and throw it away, the rest of the substrate you can microwave for 3 minutes on high and that will kill any spores, as well as serve to dry out the substrate a bit. While you wait for the substrate to cool, give your tank a good wash and dry with a clean towel. Once the substrate is cooled you can put it back into the tank.

The substrate should only ever be slightly damp and you should have good ventilation to prevent the mould from developing again - hope this helps.:D

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
mold

yes, its mold. Do you have plenty of ventilation for the enclosure? Your substrate may be too moist. I had some problems with mold until I added plenty of ventilation.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
TBH the subsrate was put in pretty dry, I used a lot less water than the instructions recomended. The enclosure was then left for a week to dry even more before my B. Smithi (Vala) was put in last Friday night.

Its one of the KK type tanks, with alot of ventelation on the top cover, but come to think of it, the last few days have been pretty cold outside so I've had my window closed all the time.

I've removed the top layer and gotten rid of any sign of the mold, I'll keep my window open as much as I can without the temperature dropping too much.

I'll keep a close eye, and if it happens again I'll empty the whole tank and redo the Substrate.

Thanks for all the responses.

At least I was able to see her out of her hide for the first time since Friday so grabbed a quick snapshot

CHeers

mike

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey do you have a ventral picture of your smithi? I have a sneaking feeling thats a male.

thunderthief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I dont and she/he is back in the hide now. Its been digging away all day while I've been in work. Theres a huge mound of substrate by the entrance to the hide!!!

I will take some shots next time she/he is out.

Cheers
Mike

Heather

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Question about Salt water.

I keeps hemit crabs... in order to prevent mold from forming in the tank I mix the eco earth with the salt water that I prepare for them to drink. I have not experienced a mold issue yet. The humidity runs at 80% and the temps are in the high 70's to low 80's. I continue to keep the substrate damp to accomodate their burrowing needs.

Is is safe to mix a spiders substrate with the salt water as well? I would guess that it most likely isn't advised... but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Heather