Is this millipede dying?

Nicolepickford

Arachnopeon
Likely frass, as laying so quickly seems unlikely. That said, frass is extremely difficult to distinguish from eggs even for fairly advanced keepers. This is why changing substrate is often such an epic bear.
Luckily I only really spot clean in this one, so I'll leave them alone!

Is pouring water on any possible eggs okay? Only pulled the moss up to water some pants

- it seems these guys LOVE to eat live moss more than anything, good job I propagate it :')

Nicolepickford

Arachnopeon
SO for anyone curious - IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS DONE THIS.

Admittedly it seems that people typically use African milipedes with their BPs, but for me personally the bigger the 'pede the bigger the risk. And given the size and humidity gradient in the enclosure, this was certainly the better idea

I've been shown images of happily reproducing groups, and other than one death I'm yet to find a horror story (I've been having discussions in myriapod and advanced python regius husbandry groups, to get everyone's 2 cents). Essentially nobody agrees with each other, many think it's fine, those that don't keep snakes think it's a horrible idea, those that keep both seem mostly on board with a few that worry about toxins.

however, SOMEBODY DID SAY THEIR SNAKE CRUSHED THEIR GIANT AFRICANS'. And that is a real risk that's making me second guess my decisions.. that particular individual had a viv smaller than I'd reccomend for a BP though, nevermind a giant mili on top. I also have now seen a 'car accident' between the 2 specimins.. it seemed he just pushed her down into the live moss for a second (it's about 2" thick), and then she just carried on eating it as if it didn't happen.

In the myriapod groups though I was Informed that the small amount of coco in my substate mix in the substrate is 100% a slow death as it's indigestible ?? Not sure way to take from it since I can't find any evidence..
Yet lots of people saying it's fine.. just something to keep in mind as it's often an ingredient in bio substrate mixes
....but this gives me the same feeling as those people who claim keeping a bearded dragon on loose substrate will cause impaction (this is a misconception).

There is now various colours of those weird poop balls.. seems the springtails will go near some but not others ?? I know in my heart they won't have bread yet but I want to see the babies 😭

And the temperature and humidity seems to be mostly keeping on top of itself across the board (yes the warmest a little chilly for a BP, it's 10am so it only just started heating up the basking spot)

And a note on the drowning risk in waterbowls - yes the pedes will climb up the side and into the bowl. No amount of moving them will stop the overwhelming drive to go in that bowl. But they can just... Walk out of it again?? At least from what I've watched. And I've been shown pictures of the exact same occuring in other people's enclosures

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
I’m not surprised it works, provided the right setup that provides a good microhabitat for the millipedes, as seems to be the case with you.

Coco fiber is absolutely fine, as long as it’s not pure coco fiber. If enough decaying leaves and wood are mixed in, it should be allright. I use coco fiber in my mix for Spirostreptus sp.1.