Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Is this kind of mold bad for millipedes?

Discussion in 'Myriapods' started by ArtisticAardwolf, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    I noticed this mold on the branch in my millipede terrarium. Is it dangerous? If all goes well I will have my florida ivory millipedes tomorrow, and I wonder if I should remove it? Or even change out all the soil?

Attached Files:

2. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoangel Active Member

Are the brown dots the mold? It's hard to see from the photo. White fuzzy mold is generally harmless in small amounts and is easily removed by the introduction of springtails, but I don't have much experience with other kinds of mold.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

3. Yes most of the brown dots are mold

4. Arthroverts

Arthroverts Arachnoangel Active Member

Hmm. Springtails should clear it up, but if you are worried you can bake it in the oven at 200-250F for 30-60 minutes or so. Unless it is all through the substrate you shouldn't have to change it.
    Fresh wood/leaves are often attacked by various kinds of mold, so unless it is growing rampantly or has a particularly strong odor, it is usually harmless.

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts

5. Polenth

Polenth Arachnoknight Active Member

Wood often has interesting fungi. They come in all sorts of colours. They're not something I worry about and I haven't had any sudden die-offs. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.