Is this guy lying?

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Local exotic pet shop near where I live, sells some Tarantula's. I am hoping to get one, as to why I asked for advice on my previous thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/first-tarantula-for-a-beginner.286691/

Its taking a while to get one, albeit longer than I wanted. But regardless onto my main point my dudes. This pet shop owner, was insisting that if I ever want to buy a tarantula, that I would like to handle its got to be a Chilean rose tarantula.

He already said to me beforehand, he doesn't like tarantulas in general but the one that does well with being docile and being held is a Chilean rose tarantula.
He also said, that because of the Mexican Red Knee's [brachypelma smithi] population in danger it is now harder to get hold of them and as such they are more expensive. [They don't use Latin/scientific names at this pet shop]

Am I getting played? I would really like to know if this guy is trying to lie to me to get more money. Is he? IMO, I think he is. I haven't seen the price of Brachypelma smithi dip at all online. HELP, I NEED SOMEBODY!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
'Played' I don't know, because while Grammostola rosea, no matter the opinions, is and remain a good Theraphosidae for start (not for handle, uh) there's however better choices.

I don't even want to comment that stuff he told you about B.smithi. So 'played' uhm... but what really is for me incredible to believe is that you are living in the UK, one of T's safe havens. There's a lot of online sellers with nice prices/choice. Christ, search man and you will see :-s

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Ahahaha, sorry. I try to get as much advice as possible haha. I will probably make a thread when I get my first T, showing my setup and stuff. :)

Robyn8

Arachnoknight
Maybe its the language barrier, but im not sure what you are 'panicking' about. I don't understand the part how he is trying to get more money out of you?
This pet shop owner, was insisting that if I ever want to buy a tarantula, that I would like to handle its got to be a Chilean rose tarantula.
I disagree with this, If you want a pet to cuddle with, get a mammal. Tarantula's don't like being held, also G rosea's are known for their moodswings.

So what is the problem here?

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
Don't take this the wrong way, but I would just stick to dealers/breeders that are trusted. There is a huge online dealer of tarantulas in the UK, I think it called The Spider Shop (?). I would turn my attention there.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ahahaha, sorry. I try to get as much advice as possible haha. I will probably make a thread when I get my first T, showing my setup and stuff. :)
No, I mean... what I wanted to say is that, being you, I would use the Internet and search for UK breeders/sellers online (there's a lot, with as I've said nice IMO prices and good variety) if you feel that he's cheating/mocking you or else.

Let's be honest, ah ah, someone that say: "... I don't like T's" and sell T's, meh.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Hi Shrubbery, I'm from the UK too. I have used the spider shop online & highly recommend them. They have a good choice, good reputation & excellent service. Check them out. As for your local pet shop trying to get more money from you I don't know. B smithi are generally more expensive than G rosea. I have an "exotic" pet store near me but I'm dubious about buying from them, I buy my feeders from them but that's about it.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Checking his prices against the competition in the area is the only way to know roughly how much he's making off of you. Him not using scientific names in his shop makes me skeptical though.

I'd go the online route where there are plenty of reviews or hit the local expos.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Grammostola porteri are very good beginner species due to the ease of their care and the fact that they are forgiving of mistakes that some new people make. They can be very moody and worry their keepers with fasting. They are a good beginner species.
Brachypelma smithi are great as well, but can have a propensity towards hair kicking. Again, each individual will differ when it comes to tolerance for interacting with you.
B.smithi are generally more money than G.porteri - wherever you go.
If you do your homework, then shop keepers won't be able to play you.

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Local exotic pet shop near where I live, sells some Tarantula's. I am hoping to get one, as to why I asked for advice on my previous thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/first-tarantula-for-a-beginner.286691/

Its taking a while to get one, albeit longer than I wanted. But regardless onto my main point my dudes. This pet shop owner, was insisting that if I ever want to buy a tarantula, that I would like to handle its got to be a Chilean rose tarantula.

He already said to me beforehand, he doesn't like tarantulas in general but the one that does well with being docile and being held is a Chilean rose tarantula.
He also said, that because of the Mexican Red Knee's [brachypelma smithi] population in danger it is now harder to get hold of them and as such they are more expensive. [They don't use Latin/scientific names at this pet shop]

Am I getting played? I would really like to know if this guy is trying to lie to me to get more money. Is he? IMO, I think he is. I haven't seen the price of Brachypelma smithi dip at all online. HELP, I NEED SOMEBODY!
Has the owner quoted you any prices for either the Grammastola or Brachy?

Tarantula Chris

Arachnopeon
The Spider Shop, Tarantula's Bristol, Bugz UK are all well recommended. B Smithi's are not hard to get hold of, in fact in my own experience. When visiting pet shops, the one's that do stock T's, more tend to have B Smithi's than Rosea's.

As the thread indicates. You found Arachnoboards. You clearly have Google.

Good luck buddy

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If you insist on handling, look into Euathlus sp. "Red". They're pretty tolerant (notice my word choice there), they just don't get very large and grow slowly.

cold blood

Staff member
The Spider Shop, Tarantula's Bristol, Bugz UK are all well recommended. B Smithi's are not hard to get hold of, in fact in my own experience. When visiting pet shops, the one's that do stock T's, more tend to have B Smithi's than Rosea's.

As the thread indicates. You found Arachnoboards. You clearly have Google.

Good luck buddy
I don't think it was being lied to, just that he really doesn't know what he is talking about, but believes he does....pretty typical of pet stores.

As mentioned in the above quote, the notion that smithi is in peril and therefore hard to come by is complete and utter nonsense. See, in the 1970's the taking of them from the wild was outlawed by CITES (as a proactive approach to keep them from being in peril), so its been some 40 years since anyone relied on wild populations. Now because your pet store probably deals exclusively in wild caught ts, he probably can't get them.

But the fact of the matter is that they are and have been captive bred for a long time, and therefore, locating CB specimens isn't really all that difficult.

My personal advice is that if you are looking to buy a t with handling it as your main objective, or one of your objectives, you are mis-informed and looking at the wrong pet altogether. To me its like buying fish with the intent on handling them.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why not get a Brachypelma emilia? They are generally docile/tolerant and very simple to care for plus i know where there's a couple of juveniles at just £25 they are also imo more beautiful than either G rosea and B smithi. On the subject of handling personally i only ever handle if i have to and that's almost never the Euathlus sp red is another fantastic option

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't see how b. smithi could be rare in UK or Europe. It is extremely common here in the states and Europe has a lot more T owners.

I'll take the b. smith over rosehair any day.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't see how b. smithi could be rare in UK or Europe. It is extremely common here in the states and Europe has a lot more T owners.
True. I've bought months ago a spiderling (with CITES paper of course) and here B.smithi aren't rare at all. And very cheap.

TheShrubbery

Arachnosquire
Maybe its the language barrier, but im not sure what you are 'panicking' about. I don't understand the part how he is trying to get more money out of you?

I disagree with this, If you want a pet to cuddle with, get a mammal. Tarantula's don't like being held, also G rosea's are known for their moodswings.

So what is the problem here?
That's the exact video I watched! I kinda just wanted a general verdict, and flip-a-doodle me. I wish my phone wasn't dead, but they have a Goliath bird eater on sale (not sure whether it was a theraphosa stirmi or a theraphosa blondi), it was burgundy and the guy (one of the assistants) just scooped it out from a terrarium. Yes, its a terrarium and not a vivarium. I mean, with tarantula's you're not exactly supposed to do that...right? Just scoop them up, interrupt whatever they're doing and what have you. I thought the general rule of thumb was to gently get them to come to you, gently touching abdomen or back legs until they move onto your hand or something. (Obviously, not touching with fingers. A utensil or tool of some sort, paintbrush, graphite pen or pencil)

@clive 82 I think that is what I will end up doing, in the past I have only bought field crickets/black crickets (I know I know, I don't know the scientific/latin name) and feeder food like that. I think I'll just end up doing that.