Is this fine for s.polymorpha?

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Hey guys. I finally set up a tank for my future pede. The tank has 3 inches of eco earth, some plants, sphagnum moss all over 3/4 of the cage, and 1/4 with dry leaf litter along with 10 zebra isopods in it. Would this be suitable for S.polymorpha? if not, would this be fine for S.longipes? I can add pics if needed.

Thanks!

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
It depends on the moisture level of the substrate. S. polymorpha tolerate drier conditions than S. longipes. And do make sure that the substrate is well compacted, as most inverts absolutely HATE walking on fluffy substrate.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
It depends on the moisture level of the substrate. S. polymorpha tolerate drier conditions than S. longipes. And do make sure that the substrate is well compacted, as most inverts absolutely HATE walking on fluffy substrate.
polymorpha tolerates drier substrate, but does that mean they prefer drier substrate, or that they can tolerate it? In other words, would S.Polymorpha prefer the drier substrate, or would S.longipes be better suited for a moist substrate? Thanks, I will pack the substrate down. I thought it was better. Can I ask how you know the pede's preference in substrate texture? Just wondering.
here are the pics:

Attachments

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
I will be adding more dry leaves to make that whole area dry, by the way.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just be sure the distance from the top of the substrate and any decor that is near the walls is greater than the body length of the centipede. Centipedes can extend pretty much their entire body length up the glass, and if they can grab onto the screen at the top (if it is a screen top?) with even their front legs, they can pull themselves up - and escape through any gap between the lid and the tank. (Those screen-topped tanks frequently have a little "play" in the lid, so even with the pin lock in place, the lid can jiggle slightly - and this can make enough of a gap for a centipede to wriggle through. Even if you close the lid securely, the centipede can sometimes jiggle the lid enough to open it slightly - I've had it happen before.)

Teds ts and Inverts

Arachnobaron
You don't have to add leaves to it to make it dry, just don't water the substrate for until the bottom layers dry out. As it is I would house the S. longipes in there, but if you let the substrate dry out a little bit, I would house the S. polymorpha in it.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
You don't have to add leaves to it to make it dry, just don't water the substrate for until the bottom layers dry out. As it is I would house the S. longipes in there, but if you let the substrate dry out a little bit, I would house the S. polymorpha in it.
Perfect!
He won't bother the isopods right?

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Just be sure the distance from the top of the substrate and any decor that is near the walls is greater than the body length of the centipede. Centipedes can extend pretty much their entire body length up the glass, and if they can grab onto the screen at the top (if it is a screen top?) with even their front legs, they can pull themselves up - and escape through any gap between the lid and the tank. (Those screen-topped tanks frequently have a little "play" in the lid, so even with the pin lock in place, the lid can jiggle slightly - and this can make enough of a gap for a centipede to wriggle through. Even if you close the lid securely, the centipede can sometimes jiggle the lid enough to open it slightly - I've had it happen before.)
I am making a lid myself. It will fit snugly on the terrarium, and I will drill two hole and add some string to make a handle to pick the lid up. I will also weight it onto there with a stone or a book.

Scorpio420

Arachnosquire
Any of you guys, do you have any place (that is not the classifieds section) where I can buy a scolopendra polymorpha? I could only find one place but with $50 shipping, it would cost me $70. Any good websites with them in stock right now? If not, any website with the S.longipes?
Thanks!