Is this enough air holes?

AHMR

Arachnosquire
So this weekend I'm going to the local expo on the hunt for a T. I'm aiming for a 1-3" T. Not sure which one,Altho I know one breeder is going to have 1" p.cancerides Ts and I'm kinda eyeing them lol(I know they can be mean little buggers lol).
So I went and bought a clear container for now to house it. $3 at the local hardware store.(once it grows then I have a 10 gallon tank I can put it in).
So I added some air holes for ventilation....is this enough or should I add more? The same amount goes right around the top of the container on all sides.
I didn't add any on top, as I bought 2 containers just in case I come home with more then one,so then I'd have to stack em.
I'll also be adding Velcro to make sure the lid stays secured(Altho it clips firmly on like a deli container lid.)
So ya....is this enough air holes?(one pic with pink lighter to show hole size)
Thanks.

Attachments

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Should be just fine, There is not really an exact number you need so its hard to judge but generally It could depend on the species, you're ambient humidity etc.
Also if this is your first T I would maybe stick to something a little bit less defensive . My suggestions would be any Brachypelma species or Aphnopelma species. My personal favorites of those being A.seemani and B.emilia. Good luck!

AHMR

Arachnosquire
It'll actually be my second T.
My first is A g.porteri who is very much a temperamental female lol
So being mean isn't an issue for me lol(I also never handle my Ts anyways).
I'm also eyeing b.smithis and a few other more docile species but I kinda like the p.cancerides the more I research it.(I'm kinda fond of animals with attitude lol)
I spent a long while researching Ts before I even got my first. So I'm a newbie but not totally clueless lol
I just wasn't sure on if this was enough holes as my g.porteri is in a tank with vents already in it. I've never had to make my own.
So just wanna make sure it's adequate as I don't wanna suffocate the poor T.lol

Tarantula20

Arachnosquire
Cool! Ya if you've had experience with other T's already and you have done your research you should do just fine with a P.cancerides. Also if you really do get into the Phormictipus genera you have to look into Species Green, Purple and blue Personally I think that there the same species just different localities but regardless its cool to have a whole rainbow of the same genus.:)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
agreed, thats enough. i do however highly suggest you to invest in a soldering iron. its made life a heck of alot easier.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
Oh I'll be checking out them all lol
We have 3 breeders that'll be at our expo and I plan to check everything they have out lol
Another reason I'm eyeing the p.cancerides is because their habitat is kept drier like my porteri's is. So the care maintenance is pretty much the same.
I've also come to the conclusion I prefer terrestrial Ts over arboreal.
But I've made an agreement with my man that I'll only add one at a time.(he's not a fan of Ts. Spiders kinda scare him lol)
So I've agreed to one at a time so he can slowly adjust to more and more of the things he fears lol

AHMR

Arachnosquire
agreed, thats enough. i do however highly suggest you to invest in a soldering iron. its made life a heck of alot easier.
You have no idea!lol
I don't even have a drill bit. So I made those with a screw and screw driver(then used a lighter to smooth the edges on the inside so nothing could hurt the T). My hands are dead now lol
So ya....as I go,I'll definately look into a soldering iron lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You have no idea!lol
I don't even have a drill bit. So I made those with a screw and screw driver(then used a lighter to smooth the edges on the inside so nothing could hurt the T). My hands are dead now lol
So ya....as I go,I'll definately look into a soldering iron lol
haha thats sounds tedious. i used to heat up a screwdriver on my stove or with a lighter and then melt holes. soldering irons are life now. that expo sounds like a good time, have fun. tarantula canada and tangled in webs tend to have the best prices btw.;) but arachnophiliacs always have some awesome adult Poecilotheria on display.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
haha thats sounds tedious. i used to heat up a screwdriver on my stove or with a lighter and then melt holes. soldering irons are life now. that expo sounds like a good time, have fun. tarantula canada and tangled in webs tend to have the best prices btw.;) but arachnophiliacs always have some awesome adult Poecilotheria on display.
TarantulaCanada is the one I'm eyeing the p.cancerides from haha($10 for a 1").
But gotta see what they have on the table while I'm there tho. I seen a few on their site that has my interest.lol

Haemus

Arachnosquire
+1 to what @Venom1080 said. I haven't completed an expo until I hit arachnophiliacs, tangledInWebs, and TC lol. Picked up a G. pulchra from TIW last month and loving it :)

On a side note, good luck to the Oilers this year. That McDavid kid has Crosby level potential imo

AHMR

Arachnosquire
+1 to what @Venom1080 said. I haven't completed an expo until I hit arachnophiliacs, tangledInWebs, and TC lol. Picked up a G. pulchra from TIW last month and loving it :)

On a side note, good luck to the Oilers this year. That McDavid kid has Crosby level potential imo
Oh I plan to hit up TC and arachnophiliac for sure. Then there is another I think that does T's along with other reptiles....or could be just feeders I'm thinking. I just know I searched the names and there was 3 tables for sure that I know I have to check out lol
I wasn't going to go,as I just got my porteri almost 2wks ago but I can't fathom going until next expo before I get another T lol(as I won't buy at pet stores).

Also ya McDavid seems like he has a good game and a good head on his shoulders.
I'm still waiting for us to make playoffs......but I'll probably be dead by then :dead:

AHMR

Arachnosquire
So does this look ok for a habitat for a 1-3" terrestrial T? As that's all I know about it lol the species will be whatever I find within those stats.
Altho I'm aiming for the p.cancerides.
But ya.....decent?
Later as it grows it'll be transferred into a 15 gallon tank I have or I'll buy it's upgrade tank then.
But this should be good for a little T right?
Also,the substrate looks deep/high enough to prevent fall injuries? If not,I can add some.

Attachments

Trenor

Arachnoprince
So does this look ok for a habitat for a 1-3" terrestrial T? As that's all I know about it lol the species will be whatever I find within those stats.
But ya.....decent?
Later as it grows it'll be transferred into a 15 gallon tank I have or I'll buy it's upgrade tank then.
Also,the substrate looks deep/high enough to prevent fall injuries? If not,I can add some.
I would remove the rocks from the water dish. Other than that it looks fine. Sub height is good.

AHMR

Arachnosquire
I would remove the rocks from the water dish. Other than that it looks fine. Sub height is good.
I will :) that was my son's contribution to helping me put it together lol(it kept him busy and outta the dirt lol as he insisted on helping)

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Here is some more advice concerning the P. Cancerides: be prepared for its speed, my female has attempted to make a run for it on several occasions. A catch cup is definitely something you should have on standby.

Haemus

Arachnosquire
Oh I plan to hit up TC and arachnophiliac for sure. Then there is another I think that does T's along with other reptiles....or could be just feeders I'm thinking. I just know I searched the names and there was 3 tables for sure that I know I have to check out lol
I wasn't going to go,as I just got my porteri almost 2wks ago but I can't fathom going until next expo before I get another T lol(as I won't buy at pet stores).

Also ya McDavid seems like he has a good game and a good head on his shoulders.
I'm still waiting for us to make playoffs......but I'll probably be dead by then :dead:
Those expos are addictive aren't they? I've been hitting every one I for the last year lol.

Both your oilers and my leafs are showing huge upside. Hopefully we'll meet each other in the post season someday when we're old and grey :)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
But ya.....decent?
anything over 10 gallons is overkill. except maybe for adult theraphosas.