Is this enclosure too big for my sling Arizona Blonde?

jay444

Arachnosquire
Absolutely. You need to rehouse that spider ASAP. Once she burrows, it will be impossible for you to keep track of where she is at. She’ll also never find her food and most likely starve.
At that size, you should keep her in a dram vial (see attached picture). It will be easier for you to regulate the moisture, to feed your T and to monitor her well being without disturbing her each time. Your A chalcodes will last a while in the vial, at least a year. They are really slow growers.

Attachments

Rosa1

Arachnopeon
Okay thank you a lot, im a beginner keeper, i just want to make sure im doing the best husbandry i can. Will immediately rehouse her

Another question, right now i don't have a vial, but is a much smaller, but round enclosure an appropriate temporary enclosure? If so how many ventilation holes should i have, because some of the substrate covers three of them(in order to make height for burrowing), and there are 3 open holes. I need to rehouse her but i just want to make sure its still mostly safe for her to be there for only a few weeks/days

jay444

Arachnosquire
Another question, right now i don't have a vial, but is a much smaller, but round enclosure an appropriate temporary enclosure? If so how many ventilation holes should i have, because some of the substrate covers three of them(in order to make height for burrowing), and there are 3 open holes. I need to rehouse her but i just want to make sure its still mostly safe for her to be there for only a few weeks/days
Sure, I use those sometime to house my fast growing slings. They are about 3” in diameter. Slings that size don’t require a huge amount of ventilation, just make sure there is a couple of holes on the top and on the sides of to enclosure to ensure cross ventilation. Also don’t make the holes too big if you don’t want an escapee ;) I use a thumbtack to do the holes on mines

Attachments

Rosa1

Arachnopeon
Yes the one in your picture are like the ones i have, again thank you so much dude! i really want to be able to take care of my sling to the best of my ability. I appreciate your advice

jay444

Arachnosquire
My pleasure.If you want to take better care of your next sling, ask your questions / educate yourself better by reading the boards before getting it. You will avoid making most mistakes this way.

Cheers!

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
See also similar discussion in recent thread:

Cmac2111

Arachnomac
Arachnosupporter
Small deli cup (with air holes poked out), a little bit of sub, water dish... this is all you need for a terrestrial sling of that size. Keep as you see in the picture in the following link, this is a tried and tested method from @cold blood that results in faster growth rates and better eating from small terrestrial sling as it allows them to adopt the entire cup as a 'burrow', rather than them digging one out for themselves in a vast enclosure, vanishing for ages and becoming hard to feed/monitor. This style of keeping will be especially helpful for a slow growing spider like an Az Blonde:

https://arachnoboards.com/gallery/img_0472.38389/