Is this enclosure setup good? getting first T Wednesday

Tenodera

Arachnobaron
What kind of T are you getting? An arboreal spider, like an Avicularia or a Psalmopoeus, would be content in here, but a ground-living species would not be. That's a great-looking log, and I take it the substrate is compost soil? I'd recommend a water dish or cup which will help to maintain humidity in the screen-lidded Exo-Terra.

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
What kind of T are you getting? An arboreal spider, like an Avicularia or a Psalmopoeus, would be content in here, but a ground-living species would not be. That's a great-looking log, and I take it the substrate is compost soil? I'd recommend a water dish or cup which will help to maintain humidity in the screen-lidded Exo-Terra.
thank you an arboreal one that is scotts organic top soil i believe and i have a water dish thanks for your input

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Had to Google that common name, but i found it. You're getting a D.diamantinensis.
Organic topsoil usually refers to soil which has some natural fertilizer in it, like manure or cow dung.
It looks alright, maybe add some more leaves/plants, and a largish waterdish. Does that enclosure have a screen top?
Coco peat, eco earth, plain topsoil are better options.

cold blood

Staff member
1. What is a Brazilian rainbow dwarf? Without the scientific name, its a complete mystery what you are getting.

2. I wouldn't touch any topsoil sold by Scotts...no way no chance....that's the fancy stuff, plus its labeled as organic, which isn't an indicator of the soil being organic (all soil is inherently organic), when you see it listed as organic, its an indicator of the additives...organic additives are generally dung, or plant matter that will break down...both are bad and will attract unwanted pests. Top soil you want is the cheap stuff, the stuff sold for filling holes, not planting plants.

If its a dwarf, that enclosure is way way way way way way too big...even if its an adult. A 16 or 32 oz deli cup is probably where you should be looking for housing if its under 3".

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Had to Google that common name, but i found it. You're getting a D.diamantinensis.
Organic topsoil usually refers to soil which has some natural fertilizer in it, like manure or cow dung.
It looks alright, maybe add some more leaves/plants, and a largish waterdish. Does that enclosure have a screen top?
Coco peat, eco earth, plain topsoil are better options.
Hi it has a screen top. The soil is Scotts premium topsoil. it says it has peat moss in it and no mention of any ferts or anything. http://www.scotts.com/smg/goprod/premium-topsoil/prod140022
People said it was OK in other threads

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
There's a bigger problem than the topsoil the tarantula you are getting is terrestrial
Oh my god. I knew i should have kept quiet...sorry OP..I mixed it up with another species, my apologies.
P.sazimai is arboreal right? I think i mistook one blue T for another..

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
well its a dwarf species only getting 3 inches in length so the enclosure should be fine for it right?
Terrestrials need more floor space than height. This is a poor enclosure for a terrestrial because of that exact reason. You'd be much better off with something like a small Kritter Keeper where you could add in plenty of substrate in case the T decides it wants to burrow.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Oligoxystre diamantinensis.

Keep like a GBB. Slightly more humid though apparently.

Heavy webbers.

Definitely terrestrial.

AKA the Brazilian Blue Dwarf.

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
thanks guys i have an extra large critter keeper, can i use that ? wow glad i made this thread lol

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
thanks guys i have an extra large critter keeper, can i use that ? wow glad i made this thread lol
That size would be too large even for a fully grown dwarf tarantula. A medium keeper is the largest I'd go when dealing with dwarves, and even that is pretty spacious.

cold blood

Staff member
Oh my god. I knew i should have kept quiet...sorry OP..I mixed it up with another species, my apologies.
P.sazimai is arboreal right? I think i mistook one blue T for another..
Nope, terrestrial again.

OP, before anyone can give you accurate advice, we need to know the size of the specimen you are buying. How big it gets matters in the long run, but in the short run its meaningless. We need to know how big it is currently.

stephen sav

Arachnopeon
Nope, terrestrial again.

OP, before anyone can give you accurate advice, we need to know the size of the specimen you are buying. How big it gets matters in the long run, but in the short run its meaningless. We need to know how big it is currently.
3/4inch spiderling

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
3/4inch spiderling
Yeah, 8x8x12 is WAY too huge for that tiny T. Just get a small deli cup and use that. Then transfer it to the small KK. Size pics would help, but that will be an incredibly tiny T. General rule is 3x the length, 1.5x the height, and 2x the length of the T for enclosure size.