Is this enclosure decent for an A.Avic?

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
Probably should’ve combined my last post and this one but recently I got an A.Avic! I know they are an aboreal species and prefer more taller than longer enclosures but when I first bought him there weren’t any enclosures like that available (just one huge one meant for chameleons). I plan on upgrading after he molts or when I get get enough money to buy a new tank. Just want to make sure this one is decent enough for him for now as I don’t want him to be stressed.

Attachments

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
Probably should’ve combined my last post and this one but recently I got an A.Avic! I know they are an aboreal species and prefer more taller than longer enclosures but when I first bought him there weren’t any enclosures like that available (just one huge one meant for chameleons). I plan on upgrading after he molts or when I get get enough money to buy a new tank. Just want to make sure this one is decent enough for him for now as I don’t want him to be stressed.
I have an enclosure that is more horizontal than vertical for my avic, but it has plenty of vertical space. Screens are bad for Ts, and I'd say worse for arboreals, my avic will climb all over it's enclosure to web the place up, and it's no stranger to the ceiling go the enclosure.
Tarantulas will not drown, sponges are dirty, don't use them.
your T looks like it's preparing for a molt, I wouldn't mess with it.
>useless hygrometer
bro just get rid of that.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
I have an enclosure that is more horizontal than vertical for my avic, but it has plenty of vertical space. Screens are bad for Ts, and I'd say worse for arboreals, my avic will climb all over it's enclosure to web the place up, and it's no stranger to the ceiling go the enclosure.
Tarantulas will not drown, sponges are dirty, don't use them.
your T looks like it's preparing for a molt, I wouldn't mess with it.
>useless hygrometer
bro just get rid of that.
Thanks for the advice! As for the sponge he had it in the enclosure at the pet store and the employee said they could drink out of it? If he is molting is it bad for me to open the tank? Every time I open it it ruins a part of his webbing and I feel super bad about it, I only open his enclosure to fill his water bowl and feed him though.

I plan to upgrade his enclosure a couple weeks after his molt to a higher one with side doors. Unless he needs to be moved asap due to him anchoring the web to the screen.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
pet store know nothing. they have drank from water for millions of years without sponges.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
The absolute worst place to ever follow advice from, regarding any exotic pet really, is a pet store or those dumb pamphlets they give out. Sponges are just the worst. They only need a bottle cap, or larger bottle cap for larger Ts, of fresh water at all times and that's it. Sponges harbours bacteria and organisms that will harm your T. As for the set up, cross/side ventilation is very important when keeping Avics. Next enclosure, be sure to have adequate side venting.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
pet store know nothing. they have drank from water for millions of years without sponges.
I’ll throw out the sponge then. But is it okay that I rip his web sometimes to open the enclosure for now or will it disturb his molt? Sorry if I’m asking a lot, I just want to make sure he’s having a good life.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I’ll throw out the sponge then. But is it okay that I rip his web sometimes to open the enclosure for now or will it disturb his molt? Sorry if I’m asking a lot, I just want to make sure he’s having a good life.
I'd say as long as you're not tearing down the webbing during it's molt, it should be fine. A little disruption to it during premolt is ok, so long as it's not multiple times a day or something because that could be stressful.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
I'd say as long as you're not tearing down the webbing during it's molt, it should be fine. A little disruption to it during premolt is ok, so long as it's not multiple times a day or something because that could be stressful.

MogiCorp

Arachnosquire
How do I know when he’s about to molt so I can leave him alone? Sorry this is my first tarantula. I only open the enclosure once a week to feed him or whenever he needs more water.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
How do I know when he’s about to molt so I can leave him alone? Sorry this is my first tarantula. I only open the enclosure once a week to feed him or whenever he needs more water.
When it's on it's back, it's molting. Do not touch or mess with it in any way when it's on its back. Also, wait a full week or more after it's molted before feeding.

TriMac33

Arachnoknight
And yes, keep up on the supply of fresh water. It won't be a bother to it to have its water topped up during premolt. Just don't go in there if it's actively molting.

TwiztedNinja

Arachnobaron
I would maybe add some fake flora near the top of that cork piece. And keep in mind mesh top screens can be dangerous for a spider

Good to know you're planning on changing the enclosures in the future

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Although not ideal, those container dimensions are doable. However, you need to add a lot more leafy clutter to the top half. Avics use the cork as a hunting perch and the foliage as cover and anchor points for webbing.

Since your enclosure is so wide, I'd even consider adding a second cork to the right half and putting leafy clutter at the top of that too.