Is this enclosure big enough?

CarrotFlowers

Arachnopeon
Was just wondering if this enclosure is big enough for my t. albopilosus.

IMG_1228.JPG

I know that it's usually better for an enclosure to be too small than too big but I was just curious if this enclosure is ok for now until she gets to be a full adult.

Oh and one more question: I keep the crickets in the same room as her and they're pretty loud, would the noise of them annoy/stress her out?
- thanks guys :)

(PS- that's the first time I've ever seen her go on top of her hide like that lol, she usually just chills out underneath the hide or beside her water dish)

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
For me I'd probably have them in something a little bigger, it's not a huge deal really, just something I'd do.

I'd also lower that hide into the substrate just so the T isn't an inch away from climbing over the lip of the enclosure when i took the lid off.

CarrotFlowers

Arachnopeon
For me I'd probably have them in something a little bigger, it's not a huge deal really, just something I'd do.

I'd also lower that hide into the substrate just so the T isn't an inch away from climbing over the lip of the enclosure when i took the lid off.
Thanks for the help, I'll probably keep her in there until she has another molt.

but yeah I'll put the hide down a little deeper lol. She rarely ever goes up there though, that picture was taken right before I fed her and as soon as I gave her a cricket she went back inside the hide, so maybe she was just searching for food?? I have no idea but thanks a lot for the help x

CarrotFlowers

Arachnopeon
It’s big enough. Don’t worry.
Thanks for reassuring me haha, would you know anything about the crickets being annoying for her to listen to all the time or does it not matter much? I tried googling about it but couldn't really find much info...

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
Thanks for reassuring me haha, would you know anything about the crickets being annoying for her to listen to all the time or does it not matter much? I tried googling about it but couldn't really find much info...
Don’t worry. They can’t exactly hear, though they can feel vibrations. Crickets chirping in the same room are no problem.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
Where did you hear that an enclosure too small is better than too big? I mean maybe for slings if it’s so big you can’t find them or they can’t find prey, but I prefer to give mine more space. This T looks big enough to go in an adult enclosure right now. I use the big sterilite tubs.

CarrotFlowers

Arachnopeon
Where did you hear that an enclosure too small is better than too big? I mean maybe for slings if it’s so big you can’t find them or they can’t find prey, but I prefer to give mine more space. This T looks big enough to go in an adult enclosure right now. I use the big sterilite tubs.
Whenever I was first researching about Ts people who were helping noobs (like me) in threads used to say that. I think they were just trying to emphasise that enclosures shouldn't be massive and that too small is better than too big, Something about Ts never really leaving their designated "area" unless their a mature male on the prowl.

But yeah I'm gonna get her a bigger enclosure pretty soon, I'm thinking of just getting a plastic storage container and soldering some air holes in it. Any recommendations for a specific brand of container lol? I just want one that's transparent so I can see her, a lot of them aren't fully. Oh and how many gallons/litres are the ones you're using?
-Thanks <3

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Whenever I was first researching about Ts people who were helping noobs (like me) in threads used to say that. I think they were just trying to emphasise that enclosures shouldn't be massive and that too small is better than too big, Something about Ts never really leaving their designated "area" unless their a mature male on the prowl.
The problem it's not the size, but how this space is filled and configured. The advice of smaller is better comes because people forget to offer enough places to hide or make them feel secure in bigger enclosures. A big empty enclosure it's as bad as a small and cramped enclosure. If yo go big, you need to provide plenty of hides, shadows... etc to make the T feel secure, if not the T will feel vulnerable in that empty space and you will get the same response like having it in a small enclosure without the a proper hide etc.

Another factor that makes people suggest smaller enclosures it's because the food availability, the smaller the enclosure, the easier they will find their food. But if you make sure that your T catches the prey, a big and well configured setup won't be an issue.

Even if the T usually stays 90% of the time in the same spot, it doesn't mean that they don't use the extra space provided. I enjoy mine when they wander the enclosure looking for their desired place to "relax", hunt etc.

CarrotFlowers

Arachnopeon
The problem it's not the size, but how this space is filled and configured. The advice of smaller is better comes because people forget to offer enough places to hide or make them feel secure in bigger enclosures. A big empty enclosure it's as bad as a small and cramped enclosure. If yo go big, you need to provide plenty of hides, shadows... etc to make the T feel secure, if not the T will feel vulnerable in that empty space and you will get the same response like having it in a small enclosure without the a proper hide etc.

Another factor that makes people suggest smaller enclosures it's because the food availability, the smaller the enclosure, the easier they will find their food. But if you make sure that your T catches the prey, a big and well configured setup won't be an issue.

Even if the T usually stays 90% of the time in the same spot, it doesn't mean that they don't use the extra space provided. I enjoy mine when they wander the enclosure looking for their desired place to "relax", hunt etc.
Makes sense, when I move her into a bigger enclosure I'll make sure to use your tips lol

Whenever I'm feeding her I always make sure she has taken the prey aswell so I'll definitely move her into a bigger one soon

Last edited: