Is this enclosure and setup good enough for my B. Albopilosum

Soarific

Arachnopeon
Hard to tell from pics, what's it's leg span roughly?

Both the Honduran and Nicaraguan variants are sold at around the same price by the majority of sellers as far as I'm aware, the Nicaraguan form aren't as in-demand as they were in 2016/17 (because the UK market ended up flooded with them).

So Many Legs and Spider Planet are taking orders/posting again now
From a glance I'd say each leg is probably 2 inches in length! And ahh now I know for future lol, I'm new to the hobby so there is so much to learn and I guess a lot of it will come with time. I'm super happy to own a T and I can already tell this fella is going to be the first of many. It seems to be enjoying its little cave I made, it's been in there chilling out.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
From a glance I'd say each leg is probably 2 inches in length! And ahh now I know for future lol, I'm new to the hobby so there is so much to learn and I guess a lot of it will come with time. I'm super happy to own a T and I can already tell this fella is going to be the first of many. It seems to be enjoying its little cave I made, it's been in there chilling out.
Sorry, I should have clarified, people generally measure from the tip of the front leg on one side to the tip of the rear leg on the opposite side, this gives you the tarantula's diagonal leg span (DLS for short).

For an average sized species like yours;

- A DLS of under 2 inches is a sling.
- A DLS of 2" to 4" is a juvenile.
- A DLS of over 4" is a subadult/adult

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi,

I am a soon to be new tarantula owner, never had one before. I had been reading online about an enclosure for an adult Brachypelma Albopilosum and there were split decisions, a lot of people including online care sheets said a 12x12x12 is more than enough, and after checking with an online company I decided to order the Exo Terra 12x12x12 along with some decor. But to me, in person it looks rather small, there isn't much floor space (the photo makes it look non existent as you can't see the front but there is some space.

My T should be arriving in the next day or two and I don't want to put it in a terrible home.

Can you guys advise if this is a bad setup? If it is a good enough size enclosure should I try and rejumble the decor about to try give more space?

All advice will be helpful, I just don't want my first ever T to suffer and I want to give it the best life possible.

Many thanks

View attachment 338928
I saw all your pics. Your T is at fall risk, whomever told you that nice looking setup was good doesn't know what they are talking about at all.

For terrestrials, esp a heavy bodied species like yours, you need something with a distance from sub to lid of 1.5x DLS.

Now you can salvage this easily by turning tank on its side, replace the screen w/plexi, drilled holes, so the doors will open from the top, then you don't need a new setup.

Exo conversions are easy to do. Screen sucks, T get caught in it.

If you don't fix the distance, your Ts new name will be SPLAT.

Will the T mind if I remove the foam background?
A T doesn't even know what a foam background is, I'll let you figure out the rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashmo

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I am a soon to be new tarantula owner, never had one before. I had been reading online about an enclosure for an adult Brachypelma Albopilosum and there were split decisions, a lot of people including online care sheets said a 12x12x12 is more than enough, and after checking with an online company I decided to order the Exo Terra 12x12x12 along with some decor. But to me, in person it looks rather small, there isn't much floor space (the photo makes it look non existent as you can't see the front but there is some space.

My T should be arriving in the next day or two and I don't want to put it in a terrible home.

Can you guys advise if this is a bad setup? If it is a good enough size enclosure should I try and rejumble the decor about to try give more space?

All advice will be helpful, I just don't want my first ever T to suffer and I want to give it the best life possible.

Many thanks

View attachment 338928
I have 3 of different sizes. All of them as juveniles did not use hides I placed and instead burrowed deep in the substrate under the hide. I had to rehouse to provide deeper substrate for them. As they put on size they seem to venture out more and my adult does not burrow at all and prefers being on display, climbing around the enclosure and sleeping under its cork bark. So I would say that it depends on the size of the T and their requirements can change through their lifespan. That being said, despite the norms of individual species, I watch all of my tarantulas because they all have different mannerisms, preferences and personalities. I set up an enclosure as recommended thpropugh research and watch them closely for the first month or so after they have gotten comfortable to see what they seem to like/prefer and then alter the setup to meet that individual Ts needs.