Is This Elephant Stag Beetle Larvae?

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im hopinh this is Lucanus elaphus .....anyone have any idea? also i little info on there life cycle as larvae and pupae would be good to know
i found them in my backyard under a rotting log

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Those look like what we call grub worms? Basically a pest that farmers despise.

jt39565

Arachnoknight
Yep what I thought do a search for images under the topic "Grub Worms"

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are probably a Rhino beetle grub actually, like Strategus or Dynastes, much larger than anything that would bother a farmer, unless they were farming rotten hardwood logs or compost.

You may be thinking of the grubs of what most people call "June bugs" or maybe one of the flower beetles - less than half the size of these guys.

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Terry - you should have lots of great stuff up there - like Dynastes, Strategus and three species of Lucanus. Found Lucanus elephus up near you in May.

Setup a blacklight or visit parking lots in June and July next year. P.M. me if you want detailed info on some spots to check..

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i have found 2 tityus this year i still have one of the females and the other died about a month ago....checked my blacklight everynight to find them
my main goal was to get elephant stags :(
but these are still nice to have :)
thanks for the help to ID it

kevin1995

Arachnopeon
The larvae's head of stags are usually much more lighter (almost orangish) and more smooth. The outer side of the mandibles are rather much more straight then that of those shown in your pictures. By the size, I agree that it is one of the two north american dynasties.

DITB

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
welp i just now checked the tityus i had left and i think she is dying :( sucks that i was never even able to find a male to breed with either of the 2 females i found :(

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Terry - you should have lots of great stuff up there - like Dynastes, Strategus and three species of Lucanus. Found Lucanus elephus up near you in May.

Setup a blacklight or visit parking lots in June and July next year. P.M. me if you want detailed info on some spots to check..
Hello, I was kinda joking in that post but then again, adults of D tityus remain extremely hard to find ime. I've found 1 adult female dead along with various body parts over the years- no doubt I merely need to hit the timing of emergence right. Highest frequencies of other area observations point at early to mid/June- I'm guessing that dependant upon temps, humidity, moon phases, etc. My work often keeps me from going at opportunistic times. I've also found 1 or more spp of Lucanus but not the big guy. Thanks for the encouragement! Pm about to be sent.
:)
Terry