Is this container too shallow?

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
First time T keeper, just got a juvenile Brachypelma (don't know what species yet as it just said "assorted Mexican"). Originally I got a 10 gallon tank, but it's SO tall and the screen top and no cross ventilation and all that, so I wanted to do it right and get something acrylic so I could drill holes in it and it wouldn't be so tall.

This is the best box I could find at the store I was at, but I fear it may be too shallow (it's plenty wide on the horizontal axes). I'm thinking of having a small gradient to the substrate so it's close to the top on one side and fairly shallow at the other. Is this too shallow?

20210506_195027.jpg

xXTristinaXx

Arachnobaron
Nope, any taller and a fall could be bad, also that enclosure looks pretty big, you can house that T in a deli cup.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
For that size tarantula, this would be proper / recommendable / suggest / size enclosure.

74C9B03F-1151-4B3A-B22E-CA47A8B1A17F.jpeg

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
wait, so, you should house it in a smaller enclosure, the one you have is great for adult but for now seriously considered down sizing
So I guess I don't understand why it would need to be smaller on the horizontal. I've read that the rule of thumb is 2.5 DLS wide and deep, but 1.5 DLS tall. With substrate added, this new container (the one I'm holding on the left) is well under that (to the point where I thought it would be too shallow).

But why is it bad to have a wider/deeper enclosure? Legitimately asking. I'm soaking up all the info I can.

BossLackey

Arachnopeon
For that size tarantula, this would be proper / recommendable / suggest / size enclosure.
Definitely finding it difficult to find a good acrylic box at the moment besides what I got today (at least in brick and mortar).

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If you think about it, imagination is your only limit. Many unthinkable things can be turned into great enclosures.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
But why is it bad to have a wider/deeper enclosure? Legitimately asking. I'm soaking up all the info I can.
Too much width:
  1. You will have hard time tracking / monitoring your tarantulas.
  2. Thus you will have hard time feeding your tarantulas.
  3. Your tarantulas do not require massive space.
Too much height:
  1. One fatal fall would damage / kill your tarantulas
  2. Pretty much it.

Last edited: