Is this behavior normal?

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I just bought my first pokie (P. ornata 1.25in) and I am curious of its behavior. I've had it for a couple of days and I've observed it continously going in circles in its container close to the top, where it always stays. It seems desperate in escaping by poking its palps through the vents. The vents run along the diamater of the round plastic container in a single row near the top. The container seems a little too big for its size, but maybe its adequate for its growth rate. The breeder stated that it could stay in this cont. for at least 6-8 more months. The substrate is peat moss with plastic leaves in the middle. The sub. seems moist but not wet.

None of my other 14 Ts have demonstrated this behavior before so I'm not used to seeing a T desperate to the point of trying to escape. Has anyone gone through this before? I've thought of rehousing it maybe to a smaller cont. or maybe adding cork bark instead of the plastic leaves, or add more vent. holes. I would appreciate any and all advise on how I can settle this guy down a bit. My pokie is with the rest of my Ts, so the location should not be the problem. Thanks,

Fred:razz:

speedreader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my pokie (metallica :D) just hides at the top of its KK. It runs around when disturbed, and sometimes goes exploring late at night. I don't think you need to worry.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Well think of it this way; it just got moved to a completely new world, It doesn't know it's limits yet, so it will explore the container as much as it can and as far as it can. It's just exploring it's new home, so you have nothing to worry about.

Mustacherose

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My A. Avic sling does this when she is hungry or if I haven't given her water recently,
When I see this I feed her and she seems to calm down after that.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Another thing you will see from time to time is when you come into the room sometimes the pokie slings I have will spaz out and run 20 laps in 20 seconds. I have one I call lightning because he reacts that way to light. He just freaks.

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My A. avic sling did the same thing. Just give it a week or two to settle in, it should be fine.

Sr. Chencho

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks!

Thanks for all your replies. I don't know how long its been housed in this particular container, but I will give it ample time to settle in. It's almost a week since I've had it and continues to stay on the top where the screw part meets the top of the plastic cont'ner. I should try feeding it like suggested.
Thanks again,

Fred