is this bad luck??

ikarus_black

Arachnopeon
Well, here is the thing, am not a breeder:embarrassed:, i just consider myself a keeper.
I currently own 15 T's:clap:: 7 of them are just juvies, which i cant sex yet, and 5 confirmed MM,.... :?and if all the reports and book that i've read are right, they will star to pass away in the next 2 years or so, so am gonna be in the need of spending even more money on new T's, which i really dont mind,:D in fact i wanna expand just a little my collection, but just with nice healthy females{D.... I am really afraid that the rest of my juvies end maturing males:wall:....
I'll be posting any offer to sell them or trade them:rolleyes:, but i wont engage in any 50/50{D..... i just dont have the room and the time for so many beautiful babies.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes but conversely to your posting, if you consider them ALL pets, then the sex shouldn't come into play. Many enjoy males and mature males just as much as females and while they do live longer they typically are less money in overall cost.

I say enjoy the hobby and don't sweat the male vs. female thing and just enjoy the hobby and your "Pets" as such and not as a investment as you've stated.

You also mention not being a breeder nor having the time or space for babies so even more not to worry about the sex and just enjoy them :)

No?

P.s. oh and not sure it's bad luck but again depends on HOW you think of the T's and the hobby ;)

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree with the above post. I do hope to do some breeding, but at the same time I do have a couple of slings/juvies that i'm just not sure I could convince myself to attempt breeding or loan out should they turn out males :( I know they don't even realize I exist, but I like them :)

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
we only have two sexed Ts, the other seven are slings. we've already realized we enjoy slings much more, because of their activity level, their quirks and the fact that they are growing up with us and are being treated as "pets".

our bohemei is getting to the point where we may be able to confirm sex and i'm thinking male. i may eat my words later down the line, but right now i cannot imagine trading "him" out, just because "he" ended up being a he. we bought him with the intent of owning him until he passed, whether that be five years or fifteen. i understand there is a desire to let a MM do what they are supposed to do, and i wouldn't mind possibly loaning him to a responsible keeper, but i'm not going to sell off my males just because they got the short end of the life stick, you know?

(my p. murinus on the other hand, i wouldn't mind trading that brat out. but she hasn't "grown up" with us :p)

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd sell/trade/loan them out or get a female for them....
To do what they gotta doo ;) and reduce the imports of w/c... I am sure he will feel fullfilled .... ;D

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just to illustrate it from a different side, though, I've sent males I considered pets out on 50/50 deals, and got slings back, and ended up sending THEM out on 50/50 deals, and now I have pets whose father, uncle, and grandfather were all my pets as well. So if you like the idea of a dynasty, 50/50 is the way to go. ;)

Vespula

Arachnodemon
My male tarantula is a sweetie, and he's more of a Pet than an Investement. I can understand not wanting to trade out a pet that you've had, be it male or female.

ikarus_black

Arachnopeon
well, maybe tomorrow i will make a paypal account so i can start to send them away to who ever want them....
on the other hand, i just hate the idea, because a raise them from tinny little slings!

Anyhow, i ll do the account!!!:wall: