Is This an Avicularia Avicularia or a Avicularia Metallica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could be the flash, but I don't think its either. I thought about your last thread and I think I suggested my suspicions. I'd consider A. sp. kwitara over the 2 you've mentioned.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Could be the flash, but I don't think its either. I thought about your last thread and I think I suggested my suspicions. I'd consider A. sp. kwitara over the 2 you've mentioned.
Those seem to be much darker, it has a black abdomen and mine has an orangeish reddish one.

What phenotypes differentiate an A. Avic from an A. Metallica? Arn't they supposed to be different prices?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Admin note

I've deleted the stupid responses in this thread. It is a legitimate question. Feel free to provide legitimate answers. Do NOT feel free to continue this nonsense.

Cheers,
Dave

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm thinking neither as well.
Beyond that--dunno.
Honestly, this is part of why I don't plan on any more Avicularia.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It just looks too pink to me to be an A. metallica and not blue enough for an A. avicularia. It's not the other two Avicularia species we have either, so I am no help other than possibly eliminating both of your possibilities.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Honestly, I have no idea. Knowing the genus, it could be a hybrid of some sort. In which case we could sit here all day trying to figure it out and not get anywhere. To me, it looks a bit like an Avic. avic. The carapace seems too dark, however, and the abdomen lacks the reddish setae. The toes look too pink for A. metallica, yet the setae seem right...maybe...each picture looks different.

Like I said, it could be a hybrid.

--Dan

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Okay well thanks for you help. My next question is what species should I use to breed with my female Avicularia _______. Is it true that if I don't mate it with the exact same species, just some other Avic then its offspring will be infertile?

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You mate them with the exact same species. It sounds to me like you got mixed up with people saying, "don't breed them if they're from the same eggsac"
Ex. brother/ sister.

If you don't know what the species is, you probably shouldn't breed them. It just makes a mess of the genus. When someone tries to buy a real A.avic they could be getting an A.avic/ metallica/ versicolor crossbreed and never know it.
This is as far as I know, the main reason cross breeding is frowned upon.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Why is misidentification such a big deal? I'm not going to be selling them so do you think its ok to just breed her with any Avic?

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you read the post above yours, your question is answered.

It sounds to me like you got mixed up with people saying, "don't breed them if they're from the same eggsac"
Ex. brother/ sister.
This is actually a misconception as well - it's ok to breed siblings.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why is misidentification such a big deal? I'm not going to be selling them so do you think its ok to just breed her with any Avic?
Maybe because if I want to buy an A. metallica, I don't want to get a A. avic/metallica cross.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What are you going to do with all the slings if you aren't selling them? If you don't keep them then they will end up with other collectors. Chances are at that number, even one will be bred. Then the genus is even more messed because those slings won't be pure.

Coaster

Arachnopeon
Yeah true I guess I would have too many, ok but lets say I did sell these hybrids. What is so bad about that? What if you tried to buy an Avic Avic and wound up with a hybrid, what does that change besides some codons?

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What are you going to do with all the slings if you aren't selling them? If you don't keep them then they will end up with other collectors. Chances are at that number, even one with be bred. Then the genus is even more messed because those slings won't be pure.
Additionally, with your lack of experience, breeding is a bad idea right now period. That is a lot slings you will have to house and feed and water. It would be a lot of work no doubt and one who is brand new to this shouldnt even attempt it.

And if you ever decided to get out of the hobby, what would you do with all the hybrid slings?

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Yeah true I guess I would have too many, ok but lets say I did sell these hybrids. What is so bad about that? What if you tried to buy an Avic Avic and wound up with a hybrid, what does that change besides some codons?
If i bought a hybrid thinking it was something else i would not be happy. How would you like to buy a pure bred dog and find out its a mutt? Same thing. Or if you found out your collectors car was a fake from japan?

Status
Not open for further replies.