Is this an Asian Forest scorpion?

alex346

Arachnopeon
What kind of scorpion is this? The guy at the local pet shop said Emperor Scorpion, but I know those are hard to get by since put on the CITES list. I think this is more of a Asian Forest scorpion, either heterometrus cyaneus or longimanus. Am I on the right track?

This guy is about 3" from head to beginning of tail (excluding curled tail, claws) and seems quite docile. Price was $19. This is my first scorpion; I have 4 tarantulas.

Would like to identify him/her to understand how to properly care for it. This was more of an impulse buy, not how I usually go about buying my T's.

Thanks!

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Asian forest scorpion" is a common name that could easily apply to all 36 species of the genus Heterometrus.

Yes, this is a Heterometrus species, but it definitely is not H. cyaneus or H. longimanus. It appears to be either H. petersii or H. laoticus. Clear pictures of the carapace, chela, 5th metasomal segment, and (if possible) pectines, would be needed to confirm the ID.

Care is simple: at least 4-6 inches of moist substrate suitable for burrowing (coco fiber, peat, and organic potting soil are good options), a large water dish, and a piece of bark to hide under.

Also, P. imperator has actually been on CITES for decades, the exportation ban is far more recent.

alex346

Arachnopeon
Clear pictures of the carapace, chela, 5th metasomal segment, and (if possible) pectines, would be needed to confirm the ID.
Thanks, Colin for the very informative post! I'll get my other camera ready and will post some close-up in the next couple of days.

alex346

Arachnopeon
Colin,

Here are more pictures with a better camera.

Top view:

Side view:

Left chela:

Right chela on different background:

Another side view on white background:

Couldn't take a picture of the pectines... kinda hard handling a Digital SLR camera with one hand, while holding a scorpion with the other!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I see very sparse granulation there on the carapace, prob petersii and there's a good chance it's gravid imo. Adult males can look pretty plump but usually not "that" much ime.

alex346

Arachnopeon
I think I see very sparse granulation there on the carapace, prob petersii and there's a good chance it's gravid imo. Adult males can look pretty plump but usually not "that" much ime.
Gravid? Oh wow... that would make things really interesting.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, female H. petersii. Good pictures, I wish everyone took ones that were this clear. ;)

Could potentially be gravid, or just very fat.

alex346

Arachnopeon
Thanks for helping ID this scorpion, Galapoheros & Colin.

I've now placed her in a permanent enclosure, about 4" of coco fiber, 1/2" of "forest floor" cypress mulch (covering about 2/3's of the surface) hiding place, water dish and a fake plant... pretty much the same setup I have for my Panama Blonde tarantula. The forest floor mulch has helped retaining moisture.

Seems to be more active today, exploring her new surroundings... quite different from the almost bare tank she was kept at the pet shop.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ensure it has proper humidity and temperatures, especially if it is gravid.

alex346

Arachnopeon
here's a picture of the enclosure (not a great pic; flash not cooperating)

made some changes last night... added more coco fiber and mulch

she likes to get in the water dish

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince

That's one thing in doing this weekend. A re house. And adding some mulch . And a better water dish / hide . Not too big on the current setup mine has

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Cute. If that is in fact one of the forest oriented models... From observation: They love wet. Buried under soggy detritus layers is their dream come true. They are completely nocturnal. Ambient light really messes up their internal clock and bio functions. In the wild they won't go cruising until a good hour after dark.

This can be bewildering for hobbyist and expert alike. What differentiates between Thai-Burmese deep rain forest models and say, Isan semi arid desert ones. Which prefers what?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Mulch is not good for them. You should remove it. They need several inches of moist substrate to burrow in.

Also, why is the hide sideways? It cannot hide in that.

alex346

Arachnopeon
@darkness975

She has already dug a burrow on the center of the hide. That hide is too long for that enclosure and doesn't fit side to side, I got it for a 10-gal. tank. I may cut it or get something different.

Why do you think the mulch is not good? It pet quality, not exposed to pesticides, etc. helps retain moisture, etc.

Thanks.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@darkness975

She has already dug a burrow on the center of the hide. That hide is too long for that enclosure and doesn't fit side to side, I got it for a 10-gal. tank. I may cut it or get something different.

Why do you think the mulch is not good? It pet quality, not exposed to pesticides, etc. helps retain moisture, etc.

Thanks.
The mulch issue is more geared to Tarantulas because of their soft abdomens but it can also apply to Scorpions. The rough texture can be irritating and sometimes there can be sharp pieces that we don't see that they can get injured on. When it comes to the humid species I have always preferred to play it safe and stick with the Eco-Earth or Top Soil substrate only.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
I agree w/h @darkness975 on the topsoil as substrate, haven't used eco-earth for scorpions.
Topsoil is cheap, readily available, packs well and holds moisture for a long time. Topsoil w/h a touch of vermiculite added is what I prefer for asian species. All the scorpion species I keep have topsoil, except H. arizonensis which is a clay/sand mix.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah I'd soak the coco fiber until it all has a dark color. You never know but I'd place even more $ that it's gravid going by the extra pics. I've notice they tend to have a slightly diff shape when gravid compared to being only fat. When fat they are shaped more like a football but when gravid they kind of flare out in the abdomen, more pair shaped, still the hunch factor of course.