Is this a tarantula?

Kaigronhoff

Arachnopeon
I live in Idaho and I saw this little guy up north. My brother doesn’t believe tarantulas live in Idaho so I wanted to see if anybody on here could help me identify him/her. A9A5A7D5-1956-4979-A5D6-A90538301F63.jpeg

DaveM

ArachnoOneCanReach
Old Timer
No, not a tarantula, but somewhat related. It's a type of mygalomorph, in the same infraorder of spiders as tarantulas. It's in the family Antrodiaetidae, a "folding trapdoor spider."
That one is Antrodiaetus sp., probably Antrodiaetus pacificus. It's a mature male, out looking for a female; hope he finds one and gets to mate. Cheer him on! 👍
Your brother is right that no tarantulas live in Idaho in the wild (drive just a little bit south into Utah, and you might get to see the desert tarantula Aphonopelma iodius).

Last edited:

Cororon

Arachnoknight
No, not a tarantula, but somewhat related. It's a type of mygalomorph, in the same infraorder of spiders as tarantulas. It's in the family Antrodiaetidae, a "folding trapdoor spider."
Yay! When I saw the pic I looked at the abdomen and thought he must be related to the Oreo-Butt spider (also Mygalomorph trapdoor spiders). So cool!