Is this a queen ant?

Ebugz

Arachnopeon
recently I found a big ant In my backyard and I didn’t see more so I am wondering if it is a queen ant PS anyway I can get a better shot of it?

Attachments

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
Definatly a queen. You can see the wing scars behind her front legs.
As for better pics, without a macro lens it can be difficult. I've found that taking a video (when you don't have a macro lens) gives you a much better and clearer view even when zoomed closer than a pic. You can also extract images from the video. That's what I have found anyways. Though my phone takes decent pics as is lol (see attached pic). Good overhead lighting is a massive help (though they dont like it so dont leave exposed for too long or they might start a move). Forget the flash. Also if you have shaky hand like myself a mount or tripod work wonders.

Congrats on the find! She's a beauty and will hopefully bless you with thousands of offspring 😁
20211113_155923.jpg

WhiteMoss

Arachnosquire
Just looks like a major to me
I'm like 85% those are wing scars. Hard to tell but I'm pretty sure. Looks like myrmica, but I'm not sure what species are in their area. This is my myrmica queen and they look almost identical, aside from the stripes on the abdomen. Apparently all my quality images of her are on video 🤷‍♂️ 20220309_111637.jpg

Ebugz

Arachnopeon
Thank you for your help! She did turn out to be a queen and started to lay eggs. She is with my friend who is an experienced ant keeper and is doing well from what I heard.