Is this a proper setup for A. seemanni?

NoStoneUnturned Herps

Arachnopeon
I got an A. seemanni yesterday and the pic below is the enclosure I set up for it. Would this be fine for it until it gets a little bigger or should I change anything. thx

Attachments

leaveittoweaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would add more substrate. Probably needs to be rehoused to something a little bigger after next molt but will be fine for now.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I'd say no. This is a burrowing species, and needs the room to do so. How large is it? It looks to be about the same size as mine - 4" dls. My girl has 8" of substrate, and she's still dug to the very bottom. I'd offer her more if I could. Also remember that this species likes it a bit humid.

IMG_2043.JPG

IMG_2044.JPG

NoStoneUnturned Herps

Arachnopeon
I'd say no. This is a burrowing species, and needs the room to do so. How large is it? It looks to be about the same size as mine - 4" dls. My girl has 8" of substrate, and she's still dug to the very bottom. I'd offer her more if I could. Also remember that this species likes it a bit humid.

View attachment 238760

View attachment 238761
Ok I'll add a few more inches of substrate. And also the T is actually a little bit under 3 inches

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Ok I'll add a few more inches of substrate. And also the T is actually a little bit under 3 inches
Alright, fair enough. Although I'd personally put it into a new home entirely, there's not much room in there. I'd expect that spider to easily dig down 5", most likely more. If you want a KK, then I'd just go with one of those large ones at the pet store. That will give more than enough burrowing room as well as room to grow, since your current setup will require a rehouse on the next molt.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
A seemanni usually make good use of deeper substrate. Also, unlike many Aphonopelmas, they benefit from a slightly damper environment. Not sopping wet to grow mould or mushrooms! But, I usually dampen a small section and then rotate that area after it dries.
A forum search may find you some amazing burrows and tunnels these guys are capable of making.