Is this a Pandinus Dictator?

Dictator, Emperor, or Asian Forest Scorpion?

• Dictator

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Emperor

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • AFS

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
There aren't that many breeders working with Dictator scorpions. If you bought it from a pet store or somewhere other than a respected breeder then it likely isn't a dictator. Though it does look like it has granulation on the exoskeleton which makes me think it's a Dictator.

Edit: Relooking at the picture I don't see definite granulation on the body which makes me think it's an Emperor, if it does have granulation on the body then I think it would be a Dictator. Therefore my ID is that it's a Pandinus imperator.

Last edited:

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
I'm not an expert in scorpions but the larger triangular shape at the joining of the cephalothorax and opisthoma seems to suggest Pandinus imperator rather than Pandinus dictator. Please don't treat this as a definitive identification however, I am no expert. Also want to echo @Scorpiobsession in saying that there are VERY few people working with this species in the US, let alone in Canada. I would still be happy with your purchase though - it's pretty hard to find what is likely an Emperor specimen as gorgeous as that for a reasonable price due to the CITES regulation.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Just acquired a juvenile Pandinus Dictator today. Was hoping to get some verification that this is indeed a Dictator. Sorry about the potato quality photos.
P.imperator is on CITES appendix 2, Dictator import is banned, so unless you have a proven CB Dictator then it's P. imperator.

DictatorScorp

Arachnopeon
I got this one from a reputable breeder in Canada. I got in contact with a more experienced scorpion owner who bought a dictator from the same breeder at the same time, and they assured me that what I had was a true dictator. It’s possible they’re mistaken, or what they have is a dictator and what I have is an imperator - although I’m inclined to believe them. Either way, I’m happy with my purchase, as I was actually looking for an imperator to begin with. This one seems healthy and active, and has already eaten a few crickets!

DictatorScorp

Arachnopeon
There aren't that many breeders working with Dictator scorpions. If you bought it from a pet store or somewhere other than a respected breeder then it likely isn't a dictator. Though it does look like it has granulation on the exoskeleton which makes me think it's a Dictator.

Edit: Relooking at the picture I don't see definite granulation on the body which makes me think it's an Emperor, if it does have granulation on the body then I think it would be a Dictator. Therefore my ID is that it's a Pandinus imperator.
It’s hard to tell from the pictures I posted, but there is definitely granulation on the body.

Necrodude

Arachnopeon
This one was sold to me as a Pandinus dictator about 2 years ago. I never confirmed if it was one, since I got it for a good deal even if it is Imperator. What do you guys think? 20181210_180255.jpg

Unchain

Arachnopeon
The only other picture I have is right when I got it. Doesn't like to come out of it's burrow to often. I know the substrate is dry in the picture. It was moistened after that picture.
Emperor scorpion ....it is. Pandinus imperator for sure.

Scorpiobsession

Arachnobaron
This one was sold to me as a Pandinus dictator about 2 years ago. I never confirmed if it was one, since I got it for a good deal even if it is Imperator. What do you guys think?
Emperor scorpion ....it is. Pandinus imperator for sure.
Emperor Scorpions have smooth bodies. I see definite granulation on the body on this one. I think that it is a P. dictator.

goliathusdavid

Arachnobaron
Emperor Scorpions have smooth bodies. I see definite granulation on the body on this one. I think that it is a P. dictator.
It is also lacking the characteristic large triangle at the joining of the cephalothorax and opisthoma. That, combined with the granulation, suggests that @Necrodude does have a true Pandinus dictator rather than an Emperor. Not sure I want to know where you got it though...

Necrodude

Arachnopeon
It is also lacking the characteristic large triangle at the joining of the cephalothorax and opisthoma. That, combined with the granulation, suggests that @Necrodude does have a true Pandinus dictator rather than an Emperor. Not sure I want to know where you got it though...
I always thought it looked like a true Pandinus dictator but I wasn't sure. It was actually bought from a guy on here. If I remember correctly, he bred them at some point and was getting out of the hobby. I think I got it for somewhere around $40.

Unchain

Arachnopeon
ok i see now ,,,,, Those emperors have to different scientific names between the same one it seems of the two ,,,,, it's been a while since i had mines ,,, now i'm on asian forest's .... I like those much better ,,,, " Always on point and will pinch the ...... ! out of ya ,,,, :cool:

Crom

Arachnosquire
Yup, they appear to be actual dictator, tho I think we talked about this already haha.

Even at this size dictator shows visible granulation on the tergites and the horizontal ridges on the lower front half of the chelae, which you can see in these fairly clear pictures. Imperator does not possesa these features even as adults. Owning a ton and breeding and raising them has given me the eye to spot things out most probably wouldn't

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
@DictatorScorp yes, yours appears to be a juvenile P. dictator. An easy way to distinguish at this age if you're uncertain is by pectinal tooth count. P. dictator have a tooth count of 12-15 while P. imperator have a tooth count of 15-19. There's a small overlap so it's not foolproof but it generally works. Because it's a juvenile, next time it molts look at the exuvia and you should be able to confirm by looking at the number of trichobothria on the internal surface of the chela at the base of the fixed finger. If there's two trichobothria then it's P. dictator. If there's three then it's P. imperator.