Is this a normal growth rate? (Chaco Golden Knee)

CEOAirsoft

Arachnopeon
I've had my Chaco Golden Knee for about three years now since it was just about 1/2 (1.27 cm) an inch. Now it has about a 4 inch (10.16 cm) diagonal leg span. Is this normal after 3 years?

P.S. What is the most common/accepted way of measuring Ts?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've had my Chaco Golden Knee for about three years now since it was just about 1/2 (1.27 cm) an inch. Now it has about a 4 inch (10.16 cm) diagonal leg span. Is this normal after 3 years?

P.S. What is the most common/accepted way of measuring Ts?

For me that's good. As long as it's eating and molting you are fine. It REALLY depends upon what temps it's kept at, how much food in one sitting, how frequently fed. Don't just read people's measurements and assume there is something "not right" w/yours.

Mine is a female, kept at 68F night/75-70F day temps.

In the USA, the most common is DLS, diagonal leg span.

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
"DLS" (diagonal leg span) is very common in the U.S-Canada, using the first leg on one side to the fourth leg on the other side.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sounds like a pretty good growth rate for G. pulchripes. They're reputed to be relatively slow growers. Of course, growth will vary from one spider to another and according to the conditions in which they're kept. Spiders that are kept warmer and fed more will grow faster - but the downside to the faster growth may be a shorter overall lifespan. I have two of these spiders right now - a sub-adult female and an unsexed juvenile - but I've only had them since last spring. The female has molted once since I've had her but only got a little bit larger. The juvenile, on the other hand, has molted twice and nearly doubled in size.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I have a sub-adult male and female Grammostola pulchripes and that growth is pretty much the same as theirs has been. They are around the 3-3.5 year mark and the male is over a bit over 4" and my female is probably just under 4".

cold blood

Staff member
That seems normal, maybe even a touch slow. Mine are all 1.5-2" (58 left) and are only 9 months old....the runts are 1.25". My previous male went from 2.5-5" and mature in 10 months.

They're not super slow growers by any means.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
"Your mileage may vary" they seem to grow quickly once they reach 1"
#1 sling bought @1.5" April 2015 molted 5 times and is over 4" sexed male
#2 sling bought @ 2" Sept 2015 molted 2 times and is just under 4" sexed female