Is this a molt?

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
IMG_0318.JPG IMG_0320.JPG Hey everyone I'm sure this question pops up on the usual, but I'm starting to worry about her and I'm new to this hobby. I did as much research but experience is the best teacher,anyways I'm attaching some pictures I'm not sure if she's molting or there's something wrong. Side note she ran away from her food that was smaller then her. Thanks for any advice and comments :)

Attachments

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
When they're molting, they go completely flat on their backs. If she's refusing food, she may be in premolt, or just not hungry at the moment. All you need to do is keep the water dish topped off, and offer food every couple of weeks just to make sure she's still refusing it...sometimes they will surprise you and start eating again.

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
When they're molting, they go completely flat on their backs. If she's refusing food, she may be in premolt, or just not hungry at the moment. All you need to do is keep the water dish topped off, and offer food every couple of weeks just to make sure she's still refusing it...sometimes they will surprise you and start eating again.
Will do thanks for the response. :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
They can moult upright too. However I believe your T is just stressed. It looks very bright in the photos. Put somewhere that is a little dimmer.

They will scrunch their legs into their body when stressed.

They may stress more in premoult as they are more vunerable.

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
They can moult upright too. However I believe your T is just stressed. It looks very bright in the photos. Put somewhere that is a little dimmer.

They will scrunch their legs into their body when stressed.

They may stress more in premoult as they are more vunerable.
Ok I put the shades on the window so it's a bit darker thanks for the advice :)

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Ok I put the shades on the window so it's a bit darker thanks for the advice :)
Is it sitting near a window? Just a little reminder, it's essential to keep enclosures out of direct sunlight.

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
Is it sitting near a window? Just a little reminder, it's essential to keep enclosures out of direct sunlight.
No, it's not near the window,but I live in Florida and it's always sunny so if I have the shades off the entire room is becomes bright.

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
I'm curious about the species. It also seems like a lot of moss and stuff that T's don't seem to like to walk on.

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
Well I got a b.smithi and a juvie terrestrial kit for her, shewas recently housed there. She has a hide but never ever goes in it at all I'm thinking about digging it deeper for her but I want to wait till she's better. :/

8legfreak

Arachnosquire
Soooo.... I suspected B. smithi. They are desert T's. They need drier conditions, ie. no moss etc. May be looking to escape moist substrate?

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
While moss is not needed, if it's dry, there's nothing wrong w/it being there. I have dried up moss in my some of my setups with scrubland species to provide more texture to their substrate for burrowing.

The provided pictures don't reveal anything unusual. Have fun.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
While moss is not needed, if it's dry, there's nothing wrong w/it being there. I have dried up moss in my some of my setups with scrubland species to provide more texture to their substrate for burrowing.

The provided pictures don't reveal anything unusual. Have fun.
You mix moss into the substrate for burrowers? Or do you add it on the surface of the substrate?
There was a thread recently where the subject came up, some people (me included) had witnessed that the T's seemed to avoid walking on it due to the texture. Too soft and unstable. My input was that i had some moss in my E.campestratus' enclosure. She is nit a heavy webber, but she was quick to web it up and push it in the corner to not to be touched again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You mix moss into the substrate for burrowers? Or do you add it on the surface of the substrate?
There was a thread recently where the subject came up, some people (me included) had witnessed that the T's seemed to avoid walking on it due to the texture. Too soft and unstable. My input was that i had some moss in my E.campestratus' enclosure. She is nit a heavy webber, but she was quick to web it up and push it in the corner to not to be touched again.
Mixed in substrate. Ts don't like soft poofy subs in general. I don't that's for sure, and I can't imagine an animal with 8 legs would either. I've seen some of NW terrestrials gravitate to their cork bark slabs on sub because it's harder than coco fiber.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
What is the size of this T? I am struggling to tell from the pictures. If you can provide us a picture of the full container we can help with better opinions.

B. smithi's are nice choices. You might watch for new information over time. Your tarantula may be renamed to a different species once current studies are approved in the scientific community. Best of luck and enjoy.

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
Well I dried out the substrate and her room is more darker than it was prior and she is doing way better she's out and about. She isn't going in her burrow but mostly on top as for feeding I want to wait a bit more but thanks for all the advice I really do appreciate it I'm enjoying this hobby more and more and glad to find a good cominitcative community to help.:)

Jaydee

Arachnopeon
What is the size of this T? I am struggling to tell from the pictures. If you can provide us a picture of the full container we can help with better opinions.

B. smithi's are nice choices. You might watch for new information over time. Your tarantula may be renamed to a different species once current studies are approved in the scientific community. Best of luck and enjoy.
She is 1-1 1/2 inch her container is a juvie terrestrial kit from Jamie's. I love her color I named her Halloween because of them I also adopted a gbb a rose hair and a Chaco sling. :) I can't believe I was a afraid of something so pretty.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
She is 1-1 1/2 inch her container is a juvie terrestrial kit from Jamie's. I love her color I named her Halloween because of them I also adopted a gbb a rose hair and a Chaco sling. :) I can't believe I was a afraid of something so pretty.
Be careful on the screen tops for those terrestrial kits. Since the hole is in the center of the top you should be okay, but if you notice that your T is climbing a lot at some point it may be better to swap out the lid with a replacement taken from the same size AMAC at The Container Store.