Is this a male or female

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
P. regius???

I have 5 MF & 2 MM, and none of the females have this black ventral coloring... :? Also, its 1st pair of legs are 'heavy' like a MM's...

By all appearances, it looks like a bulkier-than-usual female, but...

And another observation: since I thought this was a MF, I put it with one of the males... big mistake! :eek::eek::eek:

As soon as they saw each other, they immediately started showing threat displays, circling, approaching/retreating, abdomens pointing to left... my black male was NOT pleased with the introduction at all!

So, needless to say, I'm somewhat confused.... :?

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on this? TheTyro, I know you will see this post... :D Thanks in advance for any and all comments!

Here's the link to the pics....

http://imgboot.com/gallery/Silberruecken/MY-NEW-P-REGIUS-1/

Have a great day, everyone! S.

Last edited:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
by the pics they all appear to be female...some are hard to tell

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Thank you, John! :)

I was searching all over AB, and I found a pic of another female in xenesthis' Flickr link... she looks exactly the same! Apparently it is yet another variation of the Orange Morphs.

What throws me off, tho... my female acts exactly as a male would... :? As previously stated, my black male immediately went on the defense, and she didn't back down at all... :eek: I've never seen a regius female do this. My other females will raise their front legs at his approach, but not in an aggressive manner.

Really, really curious... :?

Also most curious is my other MM regius-he's guarding "his" newly-hatched brood, and STILL won't let the Mom near them... :eek: (I've got to try to get some pics of that, LOL)

Thank you again, John Apple! :) S.

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this aggressive behaviour sometimes occurs when the female is subadult and due to moult or full of eggs (fertile or not).

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
yup sounds like a sub female or a female holding [eggs]
these are sometimes funny lil spiders with personality

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
EXOPET & John Apple: Thank you for your input! :) It didn't occur to me about her being a subadult... all but one of my other female were found as MF's, and both MM's did molt in my care.

Currently 2 females are sitting on sacs, and 1 male is guarding a very small brood of slings. I will be able to see the complete Lifecycle of these great li'l Jumpers. :clap:

As I type this, that "aggressive" female sits on my left hand. She's great and loves to watch spiders in Youtube vids, LOL! Hopefully she is gravid, 'cause I love her colors. But if she molts, that would be great too!

Thanks again, guys! S.