Is this a HUGE Scorpion or What???

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my surfing I came across this picture >> LINK << Is that a huge scorpion, or a small person, or is it just a camera depth thingy? It looks as big as his forearm!!

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers, Thaedion :cool:

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the pic is an excellent example of forced perspective

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's basically what they did with solifugid pics that are floating around on the net

twirl and kill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
what!? 2 feet long! how come we dont have these in the trade......probably because there is no such thing as a scorpion of today being 2 ft long

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
when the subject of a pic is closer to the camera lens and there are no other indicators it will look larger than it is.

i made a P.imp pic similar, see?

zoom

that scorp is only a biscuit more than 6"/15cm from leading edge of prosoma to tip of telson

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I noticed it has a red telson . . . not the rare and coveted P. dictator by any chance, is it?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The toes seems red too... I was leaning more twoards a cruel trick with paint... Weird.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
No scorpions gets 2 feet long and yes, this is the camera dept thingy....It is still a big scorp....:D

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no tricks in this thread.
Quite a big scorp I think.
well although it is big.. there is one bit of a trick involved.. you can see the tergites are very separated so Im sure before it was mounted they stuffed the crap out of its body which would make it longer than it was alive.. still a large scorpion though.

1/2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my surfing I came across this picture >> LINK << Is that a huge scorpion, or a small person, or is it just a camera depth thingy? It looks as big as his forearm!!

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers, Thaedion :cool:
Or one could argue that the person holding the scorpion is a little person...

pinchythescorp

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
there once was scorpions that were 2 ft and up but this was in the jurassic or triassic period i don't know if the time periods i named are correct but that doesn't matter the point is that hundreds of million years ago scorpions were 2-5 ft long

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I noticed it has a red telson . . . not the rare and coveted P. dictator by any chance, is it?
EAD063 said:
The toes seems red too... I was leaning more twoards a cruel trick with paint... Weird.
Color is about the worst form of ID there is. The color of the toes and telson in all but an extremely few instances is immaterial, and should never be the key characteristic in IDing a spp.

@ Mantids: no, this is not pandinus dictator. it is still a pandinus imperator. The emperors that are commonly imported into the hobby are usually from a locality of emps that is on the small size. They often come from the savannahs of Africa, where factors such as food and oxygen limit there size. The forest form of P. imperator is still considered the largest of all scorpions, although it goes back and forth between P. imperator and H. swammerdami.

John

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, Pandinus. Maybe I should plan a trip to west Africa, then. I just found out about the forest form of P. imperator in the thread mentioned on the other page. :drool:

Yeah, I know I couldn't bring it back, but it sure would be fun to see one.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
one of those links back there has pictures with alleged p. imperator savannah morph and forest morph, the forest morph appearing much larger, greenish, and with a relatively very large carapace... do these distinct morphs actually exist??

cheers! :D
- munis

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
one of those links back there has pictures with alleged p. imperator savannah morph and forest morph, the forest morph appearing much larger, greenish, and with a relatively very large carapace... do these distinct morphs actually exist??

cheers! :D
- munis
they arent morphs, they are exactly the same. It's just a matter of size distribution. The Forest allows enough resources to let emperors grow to greater sizes than the savanah can maintain. There are no differences in the morphology of them.

John

tarantulas.com

Arachnopeon
Malaysian Giant Forest Scorpions

Here's a pic of some Heterometreus sp. that were imported from Malaysia.
This guy was big, but not even the largest that we got. Still a bunch left, incl. probably gravid females.
No forced perspectives here.

Last edited: