Is this a good price

obie

Arachnosquire
I found what is labeled as a female P Metallica on my local craigslist the price is 350 and it says it's about 6" in Size. Do you think this is a good price for this size

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Depends on how many times she's been bred and how old she is. Often people will breed the hell out of them and pass them off at top dollar.

If she is a virgin or has only dropped a sac or two then yes..

Keep in mind that at about this size they start to look more blue grey than bright blue..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
-- Don't consider my European T's price point of view but I can't resist :) --

Ehp! For me $350 is an insane price... or a very good one for 5 (five) 0.1 P.metallica :-s

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
I thought P. metallicas were rare and expensive, being that they're almost extinct in the wild.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
#1 question that dictates everything else... Is it really a female? especially with Craigslist I would not proceed any more until I see an up to date picture to see the size and a positive id on the sex. If so then I would as long as I know she had molted recently but otherwise id personally buy 4 slings for around the same price and gamble the chance for 1 or 2 females (maybe more).

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
I thought P. metallicas were rare and expensive, being that they're almost extinct in the wild.
They are threatened in the wild but because of responsible breeders who don't buy black market Ts and the popularity of these beautiful animals they are thriving in captivity... just look at axolotls for example.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Here in Europe they aren't rare nor high priced :-s
Here in the U.S. they were quite expensive a few years ago. The only reason I binged bought my guy was because he was a $95 sling which was the first time I saw a price tag for these guys under $130 at the time. The same goes for M. balfouri, just as the price for metallicas went down these fellas were the new trend and were $100+ but now I can easily buy one for $60. Today the pricey ones are Chilobrachys sp. electric blues and can go as much as $250 but I'm sure very soon their price tag will drop like everything else.

cold blood

Staff member
i wouldnt pay more than 225.
Agreed...I would be aiming for something under $200...but yeah, 225 at the absolute tops...that's just me though...and maybe its why I never bought an AF P. met.

#1 question that dictates everything else... Is it really a female? especially with Craigslist I would not proceed any more until I see an up to date picture to see the size and a positive id on the sex. If so then I would as long as I know she had molted recently but otherwise id personally buy 4 slings for around the same price and gamble the chance for 1 or 2 females (maybe more).
An adult pokie is incredibly easy to sex ventrally.
yeah maybe i will pass
Prolly a good bet.

I think they will always command a little higher price as they aren't the easiest pokie to breed.

Spidermolt

Arachnoknight
Agreed...I would be aiming for something under $200...but yeah, 225 at the absolute tops...that's just me though...and maybe its why I never bought an AF P. met.

Prolly a good bet.

I think they will always command a little higher price as they aren't the easiest pokie to breed.
I was just stating that I wouldn't purchase a advertised female unless I could see an actual picture to verify myself.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

Prolly a good bet.

id rather take my chances with a couple slings. maybe try to send off the males. 200 is more than id ever want to pay for a tarantula. it'd have to be a real special avic for 200...

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You guys must have some high end hook ups.. Yea 350 is steep 300 is more reasonable but it's just about the going rate atleast in my world anyways. Alot of people look at them as the Holy Grail of poecs.. I'm not one of them although I will be adding some to my collection eventually now that I have my Holy Grail poec ( rufilata) and after I find subfusca highland from good lineage and a few miranda.

Mature females of most common poec species are $150+ now consider that P.mets are a little harder to reproduce and people go crazy over blue Tarantulas..

It may not be a reasonable price if you have little interest in the species or prefer other poecs over them but your personal taste can't take precedent over market value.

Seriously I would like to see how many people on the boards that have young adult virgin P.mets that they would let go for less than $300.. ( It's not fair if you need beer money or your mortgage is late;))

kevinlowl

Arachnoknight
Here in the U.S. they were quite expensive a few years ago. The only reason I binged bought my guy was because he was a $95 sling which was the first time I saw a price tag for these guys under $130 at the time. The same goes for M. balfouri, just as the price for metallicas went down these fellas were the new trend and were $100+ but now I can easily buy one for $60. Today the pricey ones are Chilobrachys sp. electric blues and can go as much as $250 but I'm sure very soon their price tag will drop like everything else.
That's a pretty good deal. Where I live P. metallica slings also go for around 130. There was one guy who was selling them for 100 and had a 20% discount on top of that for COD at an expo recently. Kinda regretted not getting one. Though, I just started keeping Ts for less than a month and the most I've spent on a sling was 40 bucks so I was definitely hesitant. I'm sure I'll eventually drop good money for some species soon enough.

obie

Arachnosquire
I'll see if he can send a pic to see what what sex it is. And being that it's on Craigslist he probably would take less. He or she was selling a whole collection of T's

obie

Arachnosquire
the guy said the p metillica is less then two years old and a female that has never been breed. he said she just molted lastnight maybe ill offer 200 its local so ill probly just go check it out. its youngstown oh craigslist. i dont know if i could post links or not

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
It's a hefty price but I wouldn't call that unreasonable for a mature female, maybe see if he's willing to negotiate down the price.

I bought a sling last summer for 85$ and I thought that was a great deal. She's about 3.5-4 inches now and is probably the most flighty pokie I own, the blue is really starting to pop now. Out of curiosity how much would you guys estimate she's worth?

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Considering I got my sling for 70 dollars I'd just buy several slings with my 350. Odds are at least one of them will be female and sale the males for breeding.