Is this a good price for a Chaco?

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi, I've been wanting a G.aureostriata for a while now and I've just noticed an adult from an online dealer (wild caught female). It will cost £77 which is about $145, is this good value for money? I could get a sling for £10, about $18. If I got the sling instead would it take long to mature? How are their growth rates? If both of these are unreasonable I might get an Avic or A.hentzi instead which are both mature and at a cheaper price. On another note I've been pooped on all three occasions that I've handled my PZB, should I be offended?? :mad:

Thanks!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I'd say get the sling G. aureostriata. They are a lot of fun to watch and you'll have it a longer time.

Also, it's best NOT to buy anything wild-caught. There may be parasites in the spider, which may be fatal.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Go for a sling. You'll get the joy of watching the little guy grow. {D

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd also recommend the sling. Their growth rate has been described as moderate, not real slow or real fast. I purchase a 1.75 inch sling on October 2, 2004. She has molted twice and is preparing for another. She's not eating, very dark in color, and hiding in her burrow. After her last molt she was up to 2.5 - 2.75 inches. Pretty good color, too. DanD

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would go with the sling as well. I got one if my chacos 8/02/03 at 1/2" and its last moult was 10/30/04 and its now 2.5" I am waiting on it go into premoult which it hasn't yet though.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yes go for the slings, they grow fast anyways. to answer your other question, here in the US $145 for a female chaco is a fair price I think.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
yes go for the slings, they grow fast anyways. to answer your other question, here in the US $145 for a female chaco is a fair price I think.

I don't know about that. I know i wouldn't pay that much. but then again Joe, you know me...i dished out over $200 for my female Blondi :D

-Mattyb

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well yesterday I placed my order for the sling and I was quite excited for it to arrive. Today I went to a reccomended local reptile/invert shop which I had never been to before and... They had a sub-adult female chaco for £45! = $80, I couldn't help myself so I went ahead and bought it (I assume sub adult as it's smaller than my rosie). Very spontaneous, I have now retracted my order for the sling and am the proud owner of the most docile T I have encountered (holdin her while I type). Some pix. They also had HUGE T.blondi which still has me intrigued until now...

Attachments

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks rosehaired1979 and Sandra!

I have another situation now as the seller of the sling has now informed me that they took the money from my account yesterday and cannot cancel the order. This is despite the fact they had not sent the actual spider yet. I gues it will be on its way now... What's the best course of action?

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh lovely. :rolleyes: I would try to fight it. Some bank related transactions you can go in and have it reversed (might be a fee). Does the seller have a website, and if so, check if they have a specific cancellation policy (see if you were within the guidelines). It would be fair, imo, to be subject to a small fee for their hassle.
If not, contact your credit card company, bank or whatever and see what they can suggest for funds taken for a purchase that you cancelled in adequate time. I don't know what else to say. Except, perhaps if you cancelled before shipping and do NOT want the T, you can refuse receipt of it upon delivery. (However if the weather/temps are a concern, them getting back a dead T could make things even more complicated.)

Good luck with it!

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree w/Sandra in what she said.Or you can just have 2 Chacos or resell it to someone who might want it.

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think I might keep the sling depending on whether my sub adult is male or not... Just waiting for confirmation on the other thread. The site I ordered from has no mention of cancellations so I'm not sure whether or not I'm within my rights to retract my order. Thanks alot for the advice.