Is this a good deal?(craigslist snake enclosure)

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm in the market for a nice enclosure for when my Boa constrictor gets bigger, but I'm not in good shape financially and i won't be for a long time. So i've been keeping a close eye on craigslist for nice deals and i just saw this nice looking enclosure being sold for 120 bucks in my home town. Dimensions are 40"L x 20 1/2"D x 18"H. Looks like a good deal to me what does everyone think?

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/pet/1978783763.html

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Not worth it. You can build that easily for much less.

Edit: I would buy the probe set though depending on its condition.

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If I was hard up I might offer $100 for all 3 items, no more than that. Your boa will outgrow that enclosure as well though so you might as well hold out for something better and cheaper.

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If I was hard up I might offer $100 for all 3 items, no more than that. Your boa will outgrow that enclosure as well though so you might as well hold out for something better and cheaper.
Do you think my boa would outgrow that enclosure even if it turns out to be a male? What size would you recommend for an adult boa male or female? I've read 5x2 is ideal from alot of places but does everyone here agree with that?

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
5x2 is better but you really want to go as big as you can, 7x2 would be my minimum for an adult. A male is still going to likely reach 6 feet if you take care of it right unless you have one of the smaller subspecies.

That cage isn't even 4x2:( how big is your snake now? And what do you have it in? I believe you can sex it fairly young by examining the spurs but I'm not positive.

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ooh, another Hudson Valley-er!

I wouldn't buy the cage, $120 is pretty steep if you ask me.

You can easily make your own, with your own dimensions.

But make an offer on the probe set, if you don't I will! :p

Kaimetsu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ooh, another Hudson Valley-er!

I wouldn't buy the cage, $120 is pretty steep if you ask me.

You can easily make your own, with your own dimensions.

But make an offer on the probe set, if you don't I will! :p
I made an offer of 80 on the cage and he accepted it so I think i might take it. I have no idea how to probe a snake and i'd rather have an expert do it, i would be too afraid of hurting my snake. So go ahead and make an offer on the probe set.

That cage isn't even 4x2 how big is your snake now? And what do you have it in? I believe you can sex it fairly young by examining the spurs but I'm not positive.
In this thread i posted pictures of my boa and the setup hes in currently. Hes still very small.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=181280

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I would not spend $120 on that. Heck, I wouldn't even buy that. I don't think it looks nice at all, sorry to say. You can build one for much less or put that money away, save a little bit more and get a brand new vision cage or something similar. If the boa isn't "bigger" yet, you have time to save a little more money and make it worth it.

Check out this site too: http://www.boaphileplastics.com/cages.html

Last edited:

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, i think I'd hold out for something better too. I'd pick up that snake hook though;)

Lucas339

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
a sheet of expanded PVC is $84 bucks....one of the best materials for reptile enclosures!!