is this a good camera for t/insect photography?

Greyhalo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Photoshop is definitely one of the best programs out there for photo editing. The only problem is that it can be a complicated program learning to use well. I myself have been using the program for over 4 years now and I know I still have a lot to learn. talkenlate04, if your looking to learn to use photoshop for photo editing, I recommend both www.good-tutorials.com and www.pixel2life.com. Both sites have sections of tutorials specifically for photo retouching and editing and they are a great place to start.

SavageDigital

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
...then I question your knowledge.
Question away, but I think you're purposely being pointlessly argumentative. Your argument about Hassy's is extraneous, and expounds beyond anything being discussed here (this isn't a debate about medium format vs. full format or film vs. digital or FF vs. 1.3 etc.). So I'm not going to waste much time refuting you - but I'll hit a couple quick points. P&S have very limited technical abilities beyond simple image capture. Many common types of images, such as very narrow DOF portraits can not be archived with that technology (the sensor is too small and the fixed lens aperture is to small), and they have very poor chroma noise performance which limits their use in low light (another very popular style of photography).

As I've already mentioned, most P&S are capable of good general use web images and the best of them are good for moderate printing. But if you think they can produce as good an image as more capable cameras, then it's not my knowledge you should be questioning. Go try to make that argument here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/

...let us know how that goes. Take a P&S to Iraq and I'm sure you'll get compelling images - but will they be as good (to other photographers especially), as useful in print, or as salable as more capable gear? No.

As you micro lens, micro flash, and 2000+plus camera makes you a better photographer.
I don't know what a "micro" lens or flash is, but if you mean "macro" then my answer is maybe - since there is greater potential there.

Yes you are a better photographer then I, but I'm happy with room to improve and to wonder the path of learning.
'Till then you can just argue with and insult people better then you I guess.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
'Till then you can just argue with and insult people better then you I guess.

so you are only saying that it is I missed a word and you call that insulting. How about reporting me?

The point is that it is 20% camera and 80% person. and I would like you to back up this argument.
NeoScales said:
I think that pretty much sums up your actual experience level in this subject...
Prove to me that a rebel xt or similar camera is, in an experts hands, equal to a Hasselblad. Please back up this comment, you are the insulting one not me.
PROVE THIS STATMENT.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
First, $150 is a really good deal for that level of digicam, for overall general use I don't think you could do better. BUT, 4cm macro is just ok, a lot of lower model nikon's and canon's that retail in that price range will do better for macro, at 1-3cm.
I go to camera/electronic stores were they have a lot of camera's out and play with the macro on every single one. My basic criteria is that it will focus when my fingertip covers the majority of the viewing screen, very few will do this. Another thing to look for is how much zoom can be used while still maintaining marco focus. This is good because you don't have to get the lens right in the subjects face and also the lens tube won't block the flash or other lighting, as they are prone to do at such close distance.
Chances are a 10mp camera with superior optics at 4 cm will out perform a 4mp with cheap optics at 1 cm simply through the use of croping. But given a choice, for the same money I think I'd rather have a lower mp camera with decent optics and the 1 cm focus.
As Tunedbeat has stated, if you can get a deal on the canon S3 IS, that would be way better suited for what you need it for. A canon a630/a640 would also be a good choice. Either camera has a pivoting view screen, very useful when you have to sneak up on an enclosure and hold the camera at an angle where you can't see a fixed screen. Both also have available add on lenses, including closeup's.
Bottom line though, go try some if you can and decide for yourself.

Bill

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thnx billopelma, what you said was a lot of help for a total beginner in all matters photographic. thnx everyone else as well, i just couldn't sort out most of the comments as i have no clue who is right or wrong :eek:

i think i'll just pass it up (the d... cat needs a hormone therapy before we can have her neutered, that's going to be expensive :() and buy a cam with better macro in a month or two. i already have the 'good for holiday pics' variety, and there is no point in buying a second one, cheap as it may be.