Is this a g. Rosea building a sperm web?

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I haven't read much about sexing any of my tarantulas as I didn't plan on breeding them. But, I was just curious if this was a sperm web. My rosea keeps building this tent like structure and then tucking under it almost like a blanket.

Yeah, he/she throws dirt in his water all the time.
I was just curious as we've had him over a year now and just wanted to know if he was living on "borrowed time".

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry to go off topic but I noticed some brown and black stuff in the water dish..What is that?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looks like a bit of moss, some substrate, and maybe some poo. Nothing threatening. :rolleyes:

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
That's bits of substrates in the water. He throws stuff in there all the time! He'll fill the thing right up if you let him.
Too bad he's a male, I was hoping to have him for sometime. Ah well, that explains why he's a bit prettier then the other ones I've seen in the shops.
Too bad I don't have a female to try him with.. That'd be a fun first breeding experiment!

kupo969

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Definitely a sperm web.
One thing, is your substrate dry or moist? I seriously can't tell.

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
I leave it dry for him. It's a very dark substrate. I just have the water dish in there for humidity. I sprayed his cage once or twice over winter just because it was so dry in here, but, I mostly let him get humidity from the water dish.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Too bad he's a male, I was hoping to have him for sometime.
umm you may still have him for a good while if you play your cards right
dont feed him much and keep him a tad cooler and he may make it a couple years more ...if you get lucky and he survives a post ultimate molt even more ...

jenniferinny

Arachnoknight
Really? That's cool! How much is not much? Like a cricket or two a week?
I know we've had him about a year, and he was mature when we bought him and hasn't molted since. He seems to still be going strong, so I'll see if cutting his food back a bit doesn't work. He's just so pretty for a rosea. Thanks!

Lance Varden

Arachnopeon
The easiest way to tell if he is male is look for the mating hooks.

Under the two long front legs (around the short pedipalps) on the underside you should see two little spurs that he uses to hold the females fangs.

Don't despair. By him and adult female.

It is great fun to breed them and watch them make an egg sack.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely a male.. mine has been going strong and eats 1 dubia every two or three weeks. Follow cacoseraph's advice and keep cooler than other T's and he'll live longer. Adult females are cheap and well worth buying, if you want to breed for fun and learning... the slings are usually given away, so don't expect to make anything. Good luck! ;)