Is this a G. pulchra sling?

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
I got this sling at the NARBC show last October from Midwest and was told it was a G. pulchra. After several molts in my care, it has not turned black, but looks more like my G. aureostriata sling. Any ideas or comments from those familiar with these species?

Attachments

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I agree. I have a G. pulchra sling, 1 1/4", as well as a few chacos...
But, it's a great spider, anyway...

webspinner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You know funny you should post that pic because I bought a so called G. pulchra that looks just like that one and I asked Art if it was a G. pulchra and he said "not if it has stripes on the legs". I got mine from the Spider Shoppe a while back.

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me Too!!

I also got a G. Pulchra from the Spider Shoppe and I've been wondering about it. It looks just like a chaco! I thought maybe being the same genus, they'll look similar as slings, But the bigger it gets the more it looks like aureostriata!!!

Scylla

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
and....

it eats like a pig! A very healthy eater!

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope you have all contacted the dealers from whom you bought those spiders. I'm sure they will be interested to know and will probably try to correct the mix-up. I doubt they intentionally sold you the wrong species but I bet they'll want to trace back to the person who messed up.

-Kelly

Quiet-1

Arachnopeon
First of all, I do not want to imply that there was any intentional misleading at all. This was not the purpose of this posting. Since I have never had slings of these species and noticed how similar they were I thought I would get the opinions from others that are undoubtedly more knowledgable than I. I do not think that any of the dealers mentioned in this thread would do something like this.....

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
I have been keeping slings of both species, and they all molted into juvies recently. So I can tell you it's a baby Chaco you've got. The difference? Chacos' grow a bit bigger and eats a lil' more IMHO. And they also cost a lil' more as slings, and much more as adults. I say you have been lucky. Enjoy! :)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Quiet-1 said:
First of all, I do not want to imply that there was any intentional misleading at all.
I know you weren't suggesting that. There wasn't any misleading - by either Art or myself. Tiny spiderlings look much the same and misidentification is usually the fault of the wholesaler not the retailer - see below :mad:.

Every spider that passes through my facility is assigned an ID number with the first two digits representing my source. I am sure if I check my records for the spider Kathy bought I will find out that it came from none other than Pat Kane. I can't speak for Art, but I wouldn't be surprised if his were also from Pat. Fortunately, I no longer conduct business with Pat, who among other things is well known for misidentified spiderlings. :mad:

Anyone who bought one from me - and a quick check of my sales record and spider database will tell me who that is - now has a credit to their account for a free G. pulchra spiderling with their next order [I have some more slings and 2-inchers coming this week]. Please get in touch with me if you have bought a G. pulchra sling from me and your invoice shows an ID number beginning with the digits "21" [21XXXX].

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
About two years ago, I bought 8 G. pulchra spiderlings from Glade's Herp for $5 each. I later found out they were so cheap because they'd mixed up three different egg sacs, and didn't know what any of the spiderlings were. Of the eight, six were pulchra. I sold the other ones (bulk sale) to someone, so I'm not sure what they turned out to be.

These look too young to be from that batch, but I just felt like commenting that it DOES happen sometimes.

-Bryan

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I bought a Ceratogyrus marshalli....that turned out to be a regular P. murinus..and the guy I got it from wont return my emails...OH well....I understand the frustration, at least you got it from someone who is responsible and willing to right the wrong!! MORE POWER TO YA Michael Jacobi!!! should have gotten my sling from you instead :D

Michelle

morda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I bought L.parahybana sling...and it turned to be B.albopilosum. lol