Is there such a thing as a "white" morph of G. rosea?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
P. cam isn't actually an OW, just a good stepping stone NW to OW, just FYI.
Oops, my bad. I thought they were. Thank you for correcting that for me!

For a good reference to the Grammostola species of Chile, check out the following site. It is in Spanish so using the Chrome browser with the Google Translate plug-in helps for viewing in English without any trouble.

Thank you! I'll give this a good look over here in a little bit!

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To the OP, did he say he was the only person to breed these as well? 🤣🤣🤣
View attachment 382282
I may need to mess with him next time I go in, show him this and ask him how much he would charge and if he knows anything about them. Just to see what he says. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

View attachment 382293 maybe they mean this one?
If I decide to be really ornery, I'll follow it up with asking how much he'd want for one of these fluffypelma plushides. :rofl:

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
I may need to mess with him next time I go in, show him this and ask him how much he would charge and if he knows anything about them. Just to see what he says. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

If I decide to be really ornery, I'll follow it up with asking how much he'd want for one of these fluffypelma plushides. :rofl:
See if you can get him to send you a picture of one

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
That is a freshly molted Grammostola sp. "Northern Type IV"_Blonde Variant - Female.
I have a MM sp North and they do have the lightest hair (lighter than the female's hair) but the general point is that a trader was claiming to have a white hair/white form rosea which is clearly untrue.

My MM for reference (with and without flash on my phone camera)
20210420_084324.jpg

Another potential candidate for the white hair 'Grammostola species' (not a rosea though) could be the Grammostola sp. concepcion/sp. Maule. Picture of one of my females for reference.

I only share these for the OP as it may help if the trader sends you a picture so that you can have a couple of other reference points. Pictures will not confirm species as only taxonomy can do that but at least its a start. 🤞
20210418_113329.jpg

Last edited:

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a MM sp North and they do have the lightest hair (lighter than the female's hair) but the general point is that a trader was claiming to have a white hair/white form rosea which is clearly untrue.

My MM for reference (with and without flash on my phone camera)
View attachment 382380
In regards of Grammostola species in general it has been mentioned that “There isnt any Grammostola that's white”. This statement isn’t true. As you can see the Grammostola sp. “Northern Type” it can vary in color, specially on the carapace. Some are pink, orange, white/albino etc.

As for Grammostola rosea I agree that there isn’t an “albino” Grammostola rosea.

Last edited:

The Spider House

Arachnobaron
In regards of Grammostola species in general it has been mentioned that “There isnt any Grammostola that's white”. This statement isn’t true. As you can see the Grammostola sp. “Northern Type” it can vary in color, specially on the carapace. Some are pink, orange, white/albino etc.

As for Grammostola rosea I agree that there isn’t an “albino” tarantula.
I agree with you 100% on the Grammostola species. My point was that there is no such thing as a white haired/white form rosea, which was the title of the thread from the OP and as such, the trader's claims are untrue when referring them directly as a rosea.

I am maybe being a bit pedantic, and if they had said its a 'light Grammostola species" then that would be fine (and I have provided some potential candidates). Just wanted to be clear about my statement. All good 🙂

I am actually hoping we all get to see a picture of this mythical creature, I am somewhat intrigued to see what it actually is! ha ha. 😅