Is there still venom in my scorpions molt?

Kurt Marleau

Arachnopeon
New to scorpions. Just bought an emperor about two months ago and he molted and left me behind a beautiful shell that I'm going to frame. I was curious if there's still venom in the stinger on the molt. I still haven't been stung and don't know if I'm allergic. If there's venom in the molt I'm gunna grab an epipen and sting myself to see.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
No, there probably isn't any venom in the molt. Their stingers and venom glands stay with the original, so no... but I have never researched it. It's all in the inside of their tail, which they keep. Besides, why sting yourself? I understand you want to know if you're allergic, but I am sure there is another way then to get stung.

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
1. No.

2. Deliberately injecting yourself with scorpion venom just to "see if you're allergic" has to be one of the stupidest goddamn things I've ever heard of anyone contemplating doing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Who said "no" and based upon which kind of scientific information? I still have an helluva of taxidermied (in every kind of pose) scorpions that I personally bought when I traveled the entire North Africa from Morocco to Egypt, and, just like my ancient German soldiers toys, after midnight, if you watch closely, for a while, they "can into life" again. Careful with that exuvia, mark my words :kiss:

Collin Clary

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
New to scorpions. Just bought an emperor about two months ago and he molted and left me behind a beautiful shell that I'm going to frame. I was curious if there's still venom in the stinger on the molt. I still haven't been stung and don't know if I'm allergic. If there's venom in the molt I'm gunna grab an epipen and sting myself to see.
By the way, you said you bought an emp. You sure? They're pretty expensive and not too many people are selling them these days. More likely it's a Heterometrus species, or a Pandinoides cavimanus or even Pandinopsis dictator.

ScorpSarah

Arachnosquire
Nope :happy: it's just the leftover shell and any remains of the stinger would probably just crumble if you touched it. I tend to actually keep molts and tape them into a book :)