Is there something wrong with my scorpion enclosure?

cayen

Arachnopeon
I am wondering if my set up for my enclosure of scorpion is proper since my H.Hottentota has been moving around a lot lately. Moving around like constantly wandering around the enclosure, but not trying to claw out of it. What do you think?

I have a 4-5i H. Hottentota and another 4-5i Parabuthus Transvalucus, both set in some sort of a 1 gallon tank. Both conditions of enclosures are the same: the substrate I used is fine sand mixed with coco peat, but thr amount of substrate provided to the Hotenttota js 1 inch thick,meanwhile for the Parabuthus is 2-3 inches. for their hides I provided cork barks and some pebble.

In the case of the light, the light you can see in the room is the most they experience from my LED Lamp, since I do not use the ceiling light and settle with the lamp light. Its brightness is also fixed to that degree. I als occasionally moisturize 1/4 of the enclosure for both every 3 weeks since i believe both are not desert scorpions and would very much appreciate moisture every now and then.

In terms pf chemicals that maybe present in my room, I do use perfume, the only chemical that is sprayed that I use, but I use it OUTSIDE of my bedroom. I also remove any uneaten food in the enclosures. There are also no molds growing in the enclosure.

If there's anything, the HH I have seems to be in pre-molt since her body is unusually chonky, but I am not certain if that's enough to make my HH wonder around the enclosure this often. Any thoughts?

P. S one of the pictures (close up of both scorpions had flash. I didn't know scorpions doesn't like that until recently, so please excuse that mistake for now.

Attachments

Veno Manus

Arachnobaron
How's the ventilation on those tanks? Also temp wise? Some species need certian temps and humidity to grow correctly. They are a semi arid scorpion in the high 80s, low 90s and are roughly a middle humidity 60ish. With my molting desert species I mKe sure they are hydrated #1. Food will most likely be ignored or spook them. My forrests shed pretty easily with higher humidity and a regular diet. I really like to bulk my scorpions up and let them hang out. I watch them over the week to see how they are digesting their meal. Sometimes they take a while to molt, have a brood or just are full haha. It also could mean there's to much room in the enclosure and it dosent have a secure place it can hide and burrow. My androctonus fat tail will completely block herself off. I'd say make a better hide situation and avaluate the substrate. Hope whatever I said helps in some sort of way. Cheers!

Joey Spijkers

Arachnoprince
Keep them dryer, especially the Parabuthus or you'll get mycosis. H. hottentotta can have a little more moisture, but I would opt for keeping it dryer as well.
Just have a water dish in there that you fill up every once in a while. For H. hottentotta slightly misting a corner is fine every so often, for the Parabuthus I would just keep it dry besides the water dish. You're only encouraging mycosis this way.

ZX14

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Don't bother spraying to min chance of mycosis. Use small water bowls with water available all the time!!