Is there any point at which the fear goes away? RE: size, termpement, venom.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My other topic isn't going so well, so I figured I'd try a different focus.

I've been in the hobby for about year or so, for real. I had a G.rosea for several years, but didn't get my 2nd T until last year.
I got my first OW's a few months ago.

Anyway, my H.maculata and my L.parahybana have both been making me really jumpy lately.
I was never scared of spiders, or my other T's--just those two make me jumpy. So does my scorp, a P.cavimanus.

Is there any point at which, through experience, the fear will sort of wear off, or am I screwed?

Draychen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd be lying if I said you wont jump when they move like greased lightning when your hand is near. However, you may get to the point where you'll stuff your entire hand into your P. murinus community to pull one out.

I will admit that my P. regalis still scares the hell out of me! Probably because she's smart. I now have to keep a pen in the runners of the sliding glass doors of her cage, because she'll brace herself on the glass, then use her rear legs to force it open. *shudders* I came home twice to see her wandering my T shelf.

DemonAsh

Arachnosquire
Is it fear or respect? I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but I maintain a healthy respect for what they can do at all times. Some of my friends believe it's fear, but I see a subtle difference. Anyway, to answer your question, I have found with other animals (mainly snakes) thatI did get used to them more and more, to the point where they don't bother me at all anymore.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is it fear or respect? I wouldn't say I'm afraid of them, but I maintain a healthy respect for what they can do at all times. Some of my friends believe it's fear, but I see a subtle difference. Anyway, to answer your question, I have found with other animals (mainly snakes) thatI did get used to them more and more, to the point where they don't bother me at all anymore.
Respect doesn't increase my heart rate or make me feel like a five year old girl.

Ingar

Arachnopeon
There must be some logic explanation when your fear of spiders starts..
If it's because of size - than you schouldn't keep tarantulas.. :(

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Is there any point at which, through experience, the fear will sort of wear off, or am I screwed?
I know exactly what you're talking about and my suggestion is to suck it up and work with them often to get familiar with how those jumpy spiders react to being poked and prodded. First though, examine why you feel anxious around them- is it a fear of being bitten, fear of escape, fear of being on your person, etc. Is it the sudden movement of the spiders that make you jump? What I think you need to do is invade their space with a paintbrush or other long instrument in a safe and controlled environment and learn how they will react and get used to the sudden movements so you will be better prepared.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know exactly what you're talking about and my suggestion is to suck it up and work with them often to get familiar with how those jumpy spiders react to being poked and prodded. First though, examine why you feel anxious around them- is it a fear of being bitten, fear of escape, fear of being on your person, etc. Is it the sudden movement of the spiders that make you jump? What I think you need to do is invade their space with a paintbrush or other long instrument in a safe and controlled environment and learn how they will react and get used to the sudden movements so you will be better prepared.
With my H.mac, it's not so bad--the only time she's ever scared me were the two times she escaped. I got her back in successfully, and she is very calm inside her tank. I've resolved some issues to prevent escapes, so that's not a problem.

My L.parahybana on the other hand, is getting to be rather larger (about 1.5x my H.mac so far), and is very quick as well. Yesterday I opened her tank, and she ran right at me, fangs bared, just as quick as my H.mac can run.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It will be better in time when you get used to their behavior. Just keep up the work and learn what to expect;-)

briarpatch10

Arachnosquire
Being afraid is natural. I love my T's and wouldnt trade them for anything but in the same breath I can say that when they "teleport" across the tank at me I freak a little! Even my Lp. and she is only 1.5 " My N.coloratovilosus scares me a little more than the others. she is the only one I have that will throw a threat display and run at me ..she has even got close enough to slap my fingers. Fear of being bit is normal IMO.